Monday, August 17, 2009

I didn't listen to my ipod the entire 30 hour travelling time back

So here I am, safely arrived in HK airport and waiting for my transfer flight back to Singapore. I’m happy I’ve made it alive so far; especially after the harrowing flight I just had from Chicago to here.

Well it really wasn’t a harrowing flight. There was the usual turbulence and absurd plethora of movies that I slept through, the same amount of too little leg room and visions of dying from deep vein thrombosis. Only difference this time is what can be described as the theoretical seat mates from hell. Theoretical meaning they gave me psychological torture, but didn’t actually do anything.

First comes the one I call Junior. He’s called Junior because through repeated observations I inferred that he was Senior’s son. Except Junior is of an indeterminate age ranging from 17 to 27, making me reconsider this inference multiple times. Junior looks like a gangbanger. A gangbanger in the ‘hood’, ‘crips’ and ‘bloods’ sort of gangbanger. He had tattoos all over his neck, arms. If he had a H A T E on every knuckle too I wouldn’t have been surprised, except I was too scared to look.

Junior also comes with the rest of the gangbanger stereotype. He had a shaved head, slight goatee, droopy pants and black t-shirt that was too large for him. The only thing missing really was the hugeass chains they use to choke people to death with, though I imagine he only removed it because airport security would’ve been a pain. Did I mention he looked really scary? And Vietnamese? That made me think of the Vietnamese gangs in Australia, the most insane and fiercest of gangs (read it somewhere), though I guess there are Vietnamese gangs in USA too.

At one point of time 17 Again came on. I happened to look to my right and saw Junior watching it. The thought of a gangbanger watching Zac Efron prance about on stage was too funny, so I giggled in my head. The thought of this was too hilarious so I snuck another glance. To my disappointment Junior was sleeping, his eyes were closed. However the split second I looked at him, his eyes opened. Opened like a horror movie. Opened like I’m going to bash your brains in and destroy you. Opened like OH MAH GAWD I’M GOING TO DIE!!!!!!

And to further illustrate my point on how terrifying this was to me, a tiny small harmless Chinese girl, this is what the expression on my face was:

So I spent the rest of the flight sleeping/cowering and avoiding looking at him.

Senior wasn’t really scary. Just curious. He was a dark wrinkled man who spoke Cantonese and Vietnamese. First he assumed I was from HK and said
Mmgoi. Then he gave up and just spoke in English. He was a raging alcoholic. Raging in every sense of the word. Just like how some people drink water, this guy drank beer. The only relief was that it was Tsgingtao Beer, of which I shall make the assumption that it is watered down and has a low alcoholic content because he did not get drunk after 8+ cans of the stuff throughout the 14 hour flight. He had tea once too I guess.

This was all after accidentally sitting in row 51, realizing my mistake and moving up a seat before anyone caught me. I looked longingly at that seat every time I got up to go to the bathroom.

No comments: