Friday, November 06, 2015

Oaxaca #2: Dias de los Muertos

I spent the last week in Oaxaca, Mexico, for Dias de los Muertos. It's the 2nd time I've been in Mexico, and the 4th time I've travelled alone, and it's been the most disastrous trip I've ever been on in my life. I feel tired thinking about the 4 shitty things that happened, and maybe will write about them when I feel less exhausted. Chang Hong is also visiting me now, so that's taking up some of my time. We're going see the Rockefeller Centre's Top of the Rock in a bit.

Instead, I shall post a selection of photos of my trip, with a terrible commentary:
 Kids collecting money along Calle Macedonia Alcala
Tiniest (and cutest) Coke bottle I've ever seen, 200ml. Several tourists asked me about it after they saw me carry it around. 
Festive Volkswagon van 
Mendoza-Mendoza, the carpet weaver/seller at Mercado de Artesanias. Ended up buying a less intricate version of that carpet.
Creature being driven around, presumably later to participate in a parade. 
One such parade, down Calle Macedonia Alcala 
Niche wall along the Pantheon General 
The next bunch are images from Images from Xoxocotlan and Pantheon Cemetery:
 
Favourite grave of all - completely non-traditional 
Sights like this made me feel a little sad, and completely intrusive. Took a photo like a creep nonetheless.
 Mariachi Band
It's hard to illustrate just how crazy packed and festive the cemeteries were, with families gathered around graves drinking and dancing, while tourists totted DSLRs around and tripped over graves. Was offered several shots of mezcal, beer and a dance by a whole bunch of locals who were partying by the graves of their loved ones. My concession was that I always asked for permission to take photos first.
Altars and decorations in the San Pablo Cultural Centre
 Widest tree in the world in Tule
Kids dancing at Hierve el Agua
 Zocalo, Oaxaca
 Another pretty altar in a library
La Soledad Church
Overall I have no regrets that I went, but the 4 crappy things that happened to me on this particular trip will stay with me for some time. I'm not going to leave the USA for a while now! Happy staying put here in my little flat and conventional existence.

No comments: