Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Käppele

In German the word for Nine, Neun (sounds like: Noin), sounds like Elmer Fudd from loony tunes saying "Nine". I just had to get that off my chest, because I keep thinking it every time I attempt to learn the numerals in German.

-----

Sunday, Christoph and I woke at 2pm, to eat a massive spread of breakfast. Dinner incredibly, was scheduled for 5pm, and was roast goose. Christoph, his mum and I went for a walk before around the area, and after she left Christoph and I threw snowballs at ducks and at poles. Then we had om nom nom goose at a pub nearby the house with his mum and sister. Not so om nom nom were the weird green stuff that had the consistency of creamed spinach, and the potato balls which were... chewy?

On Monday, Christoph and I went to visit the Käppele. It was a bad idea because the way both up and down was completely covered with 25cm deep snow. I fell down 5 times, got massively pissed off, stopped feeling my toes (which somehow started to hurt a while after I lost feeling) and became a massive grumpy bitch. BAH, the snow.

Afterwards, we went to the Christmas market in Wurzburg central and had a Bratwurst, before wandering around. Christoph bought me a cute palm sized polar bear there. For dinner, we went to a nice restaurant along the Main river, and I had sea bass. By then however, I was very tired from the chaos of the day and the previous few days. When the family friend, WoHu turned up however, I quickly woke up ("Hallo Herr Bundes chancellor"). He was quite a character, bursting into the restaurant practically shouting "Hallo my friends" and introducing himself as the bundes chancellor. All the other tables stared at us. It was as if God had rolled Joshua Cao and Alistair Chew together, into a German high school teacher who speaks excellent French and English, and had an academic interest in WWI and WWII military history. Later, Christoph's mum joined us. When we left, WoHu persuaded me to steal an ornament from the table, a styrofoam ornament that looked like a cookie with sprinkles. I think he took one too.

Yesterday, I stayed in and watched The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, because Christoph went to Heidelburg to visit his friend. It was an excellent film. At night I went out with Christoph's mum to town, to get some random items and have dinner in a very nice Franconian wine pub. She ordered a Rostling for me, which was very sweet and nice. We shared a platter of sausages, I particularly enjoyed the wine sausage and the potato salad which reminded me of a dish my grandma used to cook at home. Then I had a plate of beef tartare, which I messed up by putting too much everything - salt, capers, onions, gherkins - because I am an idiot. Despite the screwing up, it was still very tasty and we both ended dinner completely stuffed. Then we went back, and Christoph's mum translated the news for me for a while before retiring to bed.

Today I am just bumming, waiting for Christoph to come back. Meep.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Trebuchet said...

I am amused and exhilarated when reading your blog. All the time. :)