Thursday, December 30, 2010

Top Ten List of 2010

First, I must state that this is not my usual End-of-the-Year Best Books Read list. Secondly, even as and when I shall publish the list (probably in early Jan 2011, because I do not have my usual texts with me), it will sadly not number 10, but 8.

Instead to end 2010, I offer a totally random list under a random set of categories.

Top Vacation of the Year - Vietnam

For the food (beating even France!), for the luxury and for the feel of raw exoticism, Vietnam was the best holiday I took in 2010. Even though the heat was like anything ever experienced, a living outdoor Sauna that beat even Singapore's weather, it was still memorable. And Oh My Goodness the food was absolutely wonderful. The meal I had the first night, in Danang, stands out as one of the best meals I've had in ages. Viet Nam, the name of the restaurant, was like an old dingy Malaysian style coffee shop with florescent lights and old wooden tables and chairs. No one there spoke English. But the beef, cooked in lemongrass and other lovely stuff (I tried to replicate it a few weeks ago and failed), the garlic oil salad and the beer drunken prawns, were just a joy to eat. As a certain friends would say, LOVES.

A close second was the trip I took with my parents to France-Belgium-Luxembourg. Strasbourg, Brussels and Troyes stand out in my mind and simply beautiful cities to visit and live in.

Top Uni Module of the Year - HY234

I love HY234. I love the teacher/lecturer, I love the content, I love the way it is taught. This, is the singular module that gets me through the week. This, is the only module that I would willingly overwork myself for. The parallels to the modern world are startling.

A close second is HY114, the Military Revolution module I took last year.

Top Album of the Year - The Arcade Fire's The Suburbs

A lyrical odyssey for the modern day Ulysses - the modern man who battles Tube Strikes, rude Bank Tellers and his Boss instead of mythical monsters. The man who fights against his consciousness and himself, in an era of existentialism. I adore this album and the way it stimulates my thoughts.

Top Bizarre Weather Experience of the Year - 18th Dec 2010

This was the day Christoph and I set off for Germany, as further documented here. We left the house at about 11:40am, for King's Cross St Pancras - the train was set to leave at 12:58pm. We stepped out into a howling wind, a large unprecedented blanket of snow, and a blizzard so thick that visibility was down to 20 metres. I was drenched after walking in the snow for 2 minutes, and then walking into the warm train station.

Top Growing Up Experience - Having the Landlord from Hell


As a person, I am usually unable to be assertive. I am completely conflict adverse, provided I feel that I have not been backed into a corner with no further course of action. My landlord however, is someone who would not do anything else one pays hard ball and fights against him. Latest news of why-my-landlord-is-a-shite: the shower heater has been spoiled since 20th Dec. It has still not been fixed, and there is no hot water in the house at all. Thank goodness I'm still staying in Germany till the 5th Jan.

I have also started to put my nasty letter writing skills - gleaned from all those legal internships, thank you very much - into good use. Damn this landlord.

Top Series of the Year - Dexter Season 4

I watched Dexter Season 4 with my Dad over the Summer break. Some nights, we even watched 2 episodes! It is by far the best, most thrilling, exciting and unexpected TV series I have seen thus far - beating The Pacific, which we also watched together during Summer.

I miss watching TV with my Dad.

Top Newly Discovered Awesome Thing - The Extra Computer Labs in Lincolns' Inn Chambers

Looking for a computer to work on in school is a nightmare. Thank God I finally got around to discovering the new com labs. Pity these don't seem to have heating though.

Bonus: Daddy Donkey's stomach-filling burriots, sold for lunch at the Leather Lane market behind my house

Top New Author - Marina Lewycka

The author of notably, a Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, I discovered her over the New Years celebration I shared with my parents on Sibu Island. The small resort we stayed in had a copy, and I devoured it within a day. Since then, I have sought out all her books when I am in need of a cheering. Her depiction of the failings of human behaviour, coupled with a very well and humous narrative, make her the best author I have discovered in 2010.

Top Game - Heavy Rain

I admit to have played like a grand total of 5 minutes of this. However the friends I played it with, JH, Steph, and Ianthe one crazy exasperating night from 9pm to 6am the next day (because they insisted on completing it, with the proper happy ending), make this a memorable game for 2010.

Top Skill I learned this year - Cooking

I cook. Not too badly too apparently. Woo hoo. Which is good because I am often hungry.

-----

Taa people, have a good New Years!

No comments: