Tuesday, April 16, 2013

16 April 2013

Had a hectic day today, starting out by a gym session that wore me out. Before leaving the house however, I checked the news and first read about the Boston bombings. I spoke briefly about it with my trainer, and he referred to the bombers as 'idiots'. Ahaha. The TVs in the gym featured the News showing the bombings too, but by the time I was done exercising, I had forgotten all about the bombings. Then I rushed to have lunch, get my daily Teh Ping, and to mark Mock Exam papers for my P5 classes tomorrow.

I ran down to the cab stand around 4:25pm, to realise that there was a mega long queue for the taxi and frantically booked a cab. When when the cab came about 5 minutes later, we headed off for Rochester Mall. Upon arrival around 4:50pm, I practically ran up the stairs and burst into class, barking at the little kiddies to make them afraid of me. Needless to say, it did not work. Class went on as (presumably normal), and midway I got really bloated and had a bad headache.

Finally at 7:05pm, I let them run off. Then I quickly packed my things and my parents picked me up around 7:10pm. Got home, and had dinner till about 7:25pm. Finally from then till 8pm, I managed to vegetate like an idiot (with a headache), watching Hotel Impossible with my Dad. He seemed very enthusiastic about telling me that Daytona Beach in Miami was on a Barrier Island. During commercial break he channel surfed, and we ended watching a bit of Fox Sports covering the Boston Marathon bombings. They were interviewing the runner who was closest to the first bomb, and showed how the bomb blew him off his feet. Hmm.

At 8pm, I went upstairs and spoke briefly to Joaquin while trying to finish my marking and grade recording for my P5s. I realised (sort-of) in horror that I might have helped my students too much with their comprehensions, because they were scoring abnormally high, which inflated all their grades. When I was finally done, I ended up playing Tropico for two and a half hours, and then went to shower. I felt pretty exhilarated  and ready to face The Shit of Wednesday. Freshly showered, I went to read the news again (as is my habit) and got reminded of the Boston bombings. Now, I feel kind of sober again.

This sort of reminds me a bit of the 2008 Mumbai Bombings for some reason. I remember feeling quite melancholy the night of prom when I first heard about the bombings and hostage situation. Strange how such world events can influence one's mood even though you might not be directly involved or know anyone who is. I wonder, is that normal? 

No comments: