Tuesday, July 28, 2020

7553

I have a headache today, and feel a little dizzy. This could be because I didn't finish my tea today (something I just discovered when I got up to put the cup in the kitchen), because I got distracted playing with E. This could also be because I didn't sleep enough, and E woke me up at 3am crying for milk. Either way, I have a headache and don't feel great, and feel sensitive to sound. 

Just my luck then, that today of all days the new dog in the apartment building + an older dog decide to have a hallway 'conversation'. I kept hearing the howling barks ('wok woooowoooowoooowoooowoooo') going on and on and followed the noise upstairs (not hard in a 3 story apartment with 12 apartments only I suppose), and realised the new dog in 3A was howling away at the dog in 3D, with the 3D dog responding now and then. Now I've never heard the dog in 3D before, even though I knew it was there, so this is definitely the 3A dog's doing. I guess it must be the same dog I saw a few days ago, some shaggy looking medium sized thing of a breed I definitely did not recognise. It's new owners were trying to coax him up and down the stairs. Anyway I guess the tenants of 3A aren't home even though the lights were switched on inside, and so the dog was doing its howling thing. 

This is definitely one of the quirks of living in an apartment building, hearing all the noise around. I usually find it comforting though, hearing signs of life outside, and running into neighbours and making conversation. In New York there was Eric, who lived upstairs with his 2 (and then 1) dogs, and Steve and Alexandra opposite us. Here in this apartment there's Mike, Chastity, and Julie.

I've lived in apartments for most of my adult life, starting with when I lived in London. On Thursday however, we will finally be moving into our new house. I am simultaneously stressed out by the move as well as looking forward to a new chapter in my life. Meanwhile, the work to prep for it has been seemingly endless, and the the stressors many. It will definitely be an interesting change.

No comments: