Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Irish Soda Bread

I don't know why, but I've managed to live in the US for 9 years without having eaten Irish Soda Bread. I know of the whole St Patrick's Day festivities: leprechauns and green clover decorations, the parades, the excuse to drink, and of course (the best in my opinion) corned beef and cabbage, but somehow never encountered soda bread until this year. Maybe because all the places I have lived before weren't very Irish American. 

Anyway, while visiting Stew Leonard's with family a few weeks ago, I got to try a free sample of the soda bread with some butter - and it was amazing. I'd describe it as being similar to a scone. I ended up buying a bag and eating it for breakfast for almost a whole week. Well, come this Monday, the day after St. Patrick's Day, we ended up at a grocery store and they were selling their soda bread at a discount so I bought more. This one had caraway seeds in it, and I think I am not a fan of this version, but I'm probably going to finish the whole thing by myself as usual.

No comments: