Sunday, July 26, 2009

My foccacia bread was really oily

The past few days here have been rather interesting. Thursday I went to Columbia with my cousin and two of her friends. We took the Subway from Penn Station (during which I was terrified we took the wrong subway and would end up in Harlem by accident) and got to Columbia in one piece. After walking about a while (and damn that is a nice campus) I ended up spending 30 minutes in the campus book store finding/buying the things that Nick asked me to to buy by consulting the shop assistants. They were very friendly and helpful.

After that we walked out along the streets, intending to head to Central Park, but saw a small farmers market lined up against the pavement. We ended up buying some foccacia bread from this damn dodgy looking guy (small denim cut off shorts, tight wife beater top, made me think of tobias funke actually) and some apple cider (which was wonderful). We then headed to Central Park and had lunch in the middle of a field, sitting on some rocks. This location was amusing because we seemed to have found a spot in the middle of a Summer Camp's meeting spot, so after a while we were surrounded by navy blue shirted kids and felt really odd.

Then after eating lunch we ended up walking the length of Central Park (argh!) from West 108th to uh, I have no idea, 7th Avenue? It was quite fun though, and my shoes didn't hurt this time round. They went around looking for Gossip Girl/Enchanted shooting locations while in the park. Finally around 3pm-ish we finished and went to the Time Warner Building. After we exited the building (shooting location for Enchanted) it started to drizzle. We took the subway to Penn Station but when we got out it was raining slightly more heavier. Urgh.

Along the pavements as people rushed about trying to get out of the rain, all the umbrella salesmen came out to make a quick buck ("Youse too beautiful to get wet!" was what one guy said in my direction, I laughed and he protested). Further away from the station were the guys selling the same umbrellas $1 cheaper. But we made a run for Macy's anyway, sans umbrella.

So here we were again, 2nd day in a row riding up the slow wooden escalators of Macys (I wish I knew how old they really were) and running into a Starbucks in every corner on every floor. We were on a quest to find shoes that didn't make Pratt's feet hurt, since the rest of us were fine. In the end we walked away with nothing, and made a mad dash back to the Subway and somehow arrived just in time for boarding for the express train to Trenton.

And then we went home and watched Enchanted, because Pratt and I never saw it before.

1 comment:

Trebuchet said...

I miss NYC a lot... :(