Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Boeuf de Tartare

The last dinner I had in Germany was a very nice beef tartare, homemade. The beef was excellent, and much tastier than the one I had a few days ago in Bürgerspital. Although that being said, the atmosphere at Bürgerspital could not have been beaten because WoHu joined us there, along with many bottles of wine and schnapps. We had a nice table, inside a large wine barrel. The service was very German though. The highlight of the night had to be just as we were about to leave, someone could not stand up because she had too much Silvaner (wasn't me), and I turned around to see a large chunk of the wreath surrounding our table MISSING because WoHu had ripped/pilfered a large keepsake just like the last time we were out. The sight of the missing chunk, complete with the fact that I had tried to take some earlier but found it superglued down, made ME collapse in giggles.

The damage that night (one spoon, two menus, the wreath, all the decorative nuts and apples on the table for the restaurant) was at least 4 glasses of Silvaner, 3 bottles of wine, 2 glasses of schnapps and 1 rustling for me: some €250. Needless to say everyone was very very happy. I was only happy by proxy though, since 3 completely happy drunk people make from awesome dinner companions and I was still recovering from my cold. At one point, WoHu started banging the sides of the barrel with his head, and I started hitting it with my fists. All the other diners were staring at us, two middle aged and two young people being completely rowdy and shouting, while ordering lots of wine. I think we completely ruined it from the couple seated near to us, who were obviously trying to have some romantic night out.

Yup. That's going to be a night I remember for a long time.

But like I said, the beef tartare Christoph's mother prepared today was simply par excellence. The size was very generous too. Now, while Christoph and his mum are busy walking off their dinners (his sausages and mustard, her's a beef tartare too), I am being a lazy bum and sitting on the couch half watching Viva (I have no idea why I am so fascinated with MTVs again, probably because it makes good background noise in a language that is not German) and half typing this.

Tomorrow, back to bloody London and the problem with the fucking landlord again.

*on a separate note, why the hell does it seem all the music popular in Europe is clubbing/dance music?

No comments: