Thursday, January 13, 2011

Wright's Bar, Tea and Me

So here I am sitting in the Govt Common Room, Book I Have to Read, next to me - and blogging instead.

My expressed purpose of bringing my Not Very Light laptop to school, was to do work. Instead I am procrastinating. I blame it on the earlier HY235 lecture, which is the academic equivalent of crawling under barbed wire in the mud while the enemy rains machine gun bullets over your head. The enemy in question in this analogy is my lecturer, who shoots Narratives and Facts at us, with no real Organisation, in a RapidFireRateMode. Instead of feeling refreshed, invigorated and stimulated by the material, one feels like they have just run a marathon where all you do is mindlessly scribble down Shite, because there is no time to actually process the material. Not like there is much analysis anyway. I hope no one decides to vanity google HY235.

So anyway to recover, I resorted to my old trusted activity: a good tea with sugar from Wright's Bar (45p!) while sitting outside the Old Building and People Watching. In front of me, there were two fairly wizened people handling out fliers and trying to detain people to harass. I caught whiffs of "cuts", "government doesn't care" and "near SOAS, Birkbeck". I sat there for 15 minutes as they floundered around, the woman managing to detain 2 people and the man detaining none. He also called an IHT around under his arm, probably nicked from the LSE reception. They did not once approach me, even as they stood, defeat by the unmistakable air of Apathy from passing LSE student hordes. I found that amusing, perhaps they decided by virtue of my race I was Apathetic anyway. I also saw some friendly faces, Filipe for one, and some other people I wanted to dodge, some people from my old dorm. I also saw a women walk by in a striking mustard yellow coat, with a deep plum dress and stockings. She really likes her colours I suppose.

I have now procrastinated for 47 minutes. I'm off to the loo, then I PROMISE that I will start work after.

No comments: