Thursday, April 21, 2011

Going Gentle into that Good Night

I have just come back from the bathroom, where I spent 5 minutes heaving up nothing but water and phlegm. All I can say is, thank goodness it was not food or stomach acid. I have spent the entirety of today lying half prone on the couch in Shu Wen's place, reading Jonathan Coe's The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim. I spent last night at her place, and will probably be hiding out here for the next few days. Though a far cry from the comforts of home, it is a pretty damn good substitute as I still hide in my own head, although there are 3 other people in the same room as me.

My thoughts feel discordant today, a combination of many ongoing and half completed ruminations on various subjects. I thought of Shu's father and his new(er) life with his second wife, prompted by seeing his photo in her room, and the scrawlings of her young step-sister in her room. I thought about Christoph (of course) after seeing Joel and Hui Min together. I thought about having hours and hours ahead, and no concrete structure. I thought about these really nice t-shirts I want to get from Oasis. I thought about my parents, I thought about life. I thought about the state of my health (I have asthma today, and a nasty jetlag induced headache). I thought about tomorrow, when A New Chapter Begins and A Door Closes. I thought, and thought, and stayed within my head.

I stay within myself too often for my own good. My thoughts too varied, fleeting and yet oppressive in their tone. So much for anti-depressants slowing down one's mind.

No comments: