Monday, January 09, 2012

Maroc + New Year 2012

So as mentioned in my last post, I was away in Morocco 'celebrating' the new year. More like the new year just happened to fall during our holiday. So New Year's was spent in Fes, where everyone (Paul, Cheam, Jia and Yihang) sort of said NO SHOWERING before 0000 hours and I had to shower at 0015 hours instead. I don't know why I remember that fact the most. That and the riad we were staying in, riad verus, very nicely served this super sweet cake to mark the new year. And then the next day, on new year's eve, I fell dog sick for the next few days and said "I want to depart from my body" at least once an hour. SO summary:

Morocco - 29th Dec to 8th Jan
Fes, Meknes, Casablanca, Marrakech
£700 max spent
5.5/10

+ Medinas
+ Food (initially), loved the well cooked tajines at the first restaurant - Sekaya - in Fes
+ Souks: always charming no matter which bit of the world you're in
+ Amusing language barrier (French, Arabic, Berber anyone?)
+ Traveling company
+ The hotel staff were very very friendly
+ Mid-day heat and lovely dark blue skies
+ Hammam: never felt so clean in my life
+ Camel ride: brief, but I liked it
+ Volubilis
+ Seeing cats everywhere, except when they startled me

- FALLING SICK, with flu then stomach flu: at least I think I saved loads of money and lost weight (minus at least 3 points)
- Casablanca: shithole city of the highest order
- Food: lack of variety, even if it was tasty; that and maybe it made me get stomach flu?
- Cold COLD showers at night, Morocco is not built for cold weather
- Taxi drivers always out to scam tourists
- Didn't get to see the desert, but this warrants a 2nd trip
- Getting harassed in Marrakech: first by some really black dude who shoves me right into a store, and then laughs at me when I get upset, getting almost pickpocketed in a souk near the plaza and finally some teenage boys touching/pulling my hair in a crowd for amusement
- Smokers, everywhere
- Feeling crazily dirty and dusty all the time

I bought 2 seasons worth of Curb Your Enthusiasm on DVD, and they greeted me when I came back. Mmmm. Had a slow day today with a 1 and 1/2 hour nap in the middle, really hope I can get back to my normal working schedule tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Six Tory Burch Boots designers take Miss Li Jiaxin as the inspiration goddesses, used Shi Hualuo the world singular element to design a unique clothing respectively specially, dressed the demonstration by Miss Li Jiaxin and take on-line auction way as the Hong Kong JMJ child Charitable foundation Tory Burch Flats,Tory Burch Sandals raises funds. Relies on the fellow participants on the Internet the widespread popularity and the huge influence, on-line platform huge permeability; Through the public relations media's interaction, "glitters 7X1" to obtain the community the support vigorously and donates generously Tory Burch Flip Flops.