Monday, January 30, 2006

And I have survived yet another Chinese New Year! *cough cough*

How fun. I fell sick again, but at least I've finished up the guide proposal bit and my hist notes: now I have to study for the bio test on Thursday.

Last night I watched The Fiddler on the Roof with my parents, it was really nice and entertaining! There was also this character called Yente, a nosy village matchmaker who's very long winded, hahahahaha. The 'dream sequence' of Tevye was also very amusing and very retarded (:

Had the usual round of family visiting today; that is visiting my mum's side of the family with her 7+ siblings. I really dread this day of CNY because I hardly see my relatives and they see each other all the time: plus they have loads more in common and they all understand hokkien! Horrors. Not that I have any wish to learn hokkien but when the elders are staring at you and saying stuff in an insulting tone (well, half of hokkien words sounds insulting: especially za bo, which is about to what my limited vocab extends to; that and Miss Goh's insults) it does help to UNDERSTAND the language. So much for CANTONESE DOMINATION (of the world, there are tons of cantonese people outside of China, Singapore and Malaysia). Anyway back to the main idea: I don't like visiting.

I'm the 4th youngest cousin of 23, I can't recognize half of my cousins, can't tell who's a brother in law from a brother (vice versa for the women) and I'm the only one who has ever been to one of those 'name brand schools'. Well, that and my mother who went against the grain by getting into St Margret's Secondary. Anyway my mum ended up going to uni in another country (another first) and holds the highest paying job among her siblings (according to her anyway, she's the 2nd youngest of 8 children).

So the general idea they have of me now is: Melodie is smart. Melodie will do good. Melodie will go into a good JC. Melodie will get all A1s. Melodie will marry a very smart man. Melodie will have smart children. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Oh my goodness. If people aren't thinking I'm going to end up in some ditch by 25 (that or saying "would you like fries with that?" on a daily basis), they're thinking I'm going to become the next Einstien. Pure madness. Why are people so weird?! I'm not a superwoman, but I'm not some Britney "OHHH. I married a gold digger, now isn't that CLEVER?" Spears either.

Anyway I had a nice time today, didn't feel very out of place and Rebecca is always nice to me. She's the closest cousin I have on my mum's side and we're both going to have a lovely time this year: her with her A levels and me with my Os. Jolly good year!

I really need to study for bio.

No comments: