Sunday, December 31, 2006

This year we had some CME assignment in which we had to write about our grandparents or some other given topic on the list. I remember I decided to write about my grandmother and wrote that "sometimes it felt like she was more of my mother than my real mother".

If my grandmother turns out to have cancer, it will be as if my own mother has gotten cancer.

When I started to think about all the times I had with my grandma, and how much she has done for me, I started to cry.

1) Years ago my parents used to just dump me at my grandparents place for them to take of me when I was younger

2) When I was about 3, when I refused to let go of my grandparents at the airport, they ended up bringing me along to Ipoh, buying a ticket on the spot and buying clothes for me there.

3) When I was 7 they brought me to New Zealand in June. When I was 10 it was South Korea and 11, Yunnan in China, not to mention countless other trips to Malaysia

4) My grandmother was the one who accompanied me to school on my first day when I was P1 for recess and the trip back home

5) When I was about 7 and we moved out to the new house (the one we're staying at now), I used to call my grandmother and cry for her to come every night

6) My grandmother would prepare milo for me to drink every night and morning when I was in Pri school and she'd also prepare breakfast

7) Even as I got older, before I went off to study in school during the O level period, she always fried an omelette for me to eat

8) Everytime I was sick, she was the person who came to pick me up and send me to the doctor's 75% of the time

9) She gave me my school allowance from Pri 1 all the way to Sec 4

10) She bought me the laptop I'm using now

11) At night in bed, I kick about. She used to wake up in the middle of the night to cover me up again to make sure I didn't catch a cold

12) When I was in Pri school, sometimes at night I'd get hungry and wouldn't be able to sleep. She would get up and bring me downstairs to make food

13) From P1 to P6, I used to sleep together in the same room with her and my grandpa. That's how I got used to sleeping despite a noisy environment (the tv)

14) She was the one who hired the first tuition teacher for me for math in P5 and paid her

15) Ever since the day I came back from K2 (Nanyang Kindergarten) crying because my teacher had scolded me for not knowing how to write my name in Chinese, she took over my Chinese education trying to drill the language into me till P6 when my mother finally hired a Chinese tuition teacher for me

16) When I was about P3, my grandmother sent me for art classes at nearby Coronation Plaza and Chinese composition classes

17) This year, my grandmother taught me how to knit and she even knit a dark green scarf for me which I brought to Japan

18) She was usually the one who'd pick me up from school when I called home after school

19) My grandmother tried to (most unsuccessfully) teach me Chinese calligraphy when I was about P3

20) My grandmother used to go away to KL for day business trips. Whenever that happened, I'd cry and kick up a big fuss and say that my lucky charm was gone. Those days I usually had a very bad day in school

21) Even till about a month ago, she was trying to make me read more Chinese to improve my language skills so that I'd have a better future

22) When I used to sleep with her, I had no bed so I'd sleep on the floor so she bought an extra bed for me. Now my wardrobe's falling apart and so's my desk, so she ordered a new desk and wardrobe for me

23) In Sec 3 when I was supposed to go on the History trip with Stephanie, she was the one who offered to pay for me when she saw that I really wanted to go

24) When I was sick when I was younger, she'd wake up and wake me up to take my medicine

25) In P5 when I was very sick and wouldn't eat bread, she would cook rice for me to eat with soy sauce

26) She would always nag me on my sleeping habits, lack of exercise, eating unhealthy food and so on
27) From P2 onwards, she always brought me to buy my school books and would pay for them and school uniforms too when I needed them

28) In P2 I used to go for sleepovers at Hannah Lim (Hui Ning)'s house. I'd never make it through the night because around 10 o'clock I'd start to miss my grandmother and would start crying. Once I brought a picture of her around - didn't work too

29) She was the one who taught me the difference between using "I" and "me" even though English is her 3rd language

30) On the first day I started my job, she noticed it was raining and specially got out of bed to drive me all the way to the office so I wouldn't get sick.

I know I'm really rambling now and not exactly making much sense, but I feel really sad now :/

No comments: