Friday, December 29, 2006

Today I attended an AGM (Annual General Meeting) for one of the firm's clients. I had been binding the affidavits for this case for some times, and damn, it's file is thicker than my upper arm - what a pain to bind. But that's besides the point. Anyway the Management of this building was suing one of it's tenants for using up more parking lots than it was allotted to, and damaging the other lots at the same time despite many warnings.

Fun fun fun.

Anyway the AGM was filled full of blue collar workers, basically your average Singaporean speaking in those horrid mixtures of Mandarin, Hokkien and English. ARGHHH I hate it when people speak like that. Anyway the first thing they ended up voting during the AGM was whether to kick us, the lawyers, out amidst much shouting. OMG WTF??? O.O I felt like people were going to start jumping on us and strangling us and I was all prepared to stab someone with my cheap blue ball point pen, ala Red Eye style (actually funny as it sounds, the brand of the pen was Red Leaf).

The vote counting took 40 mins, during which I was so bored I almost fell asleep (since adrenalin can only last you so long), and we stayed with 204 votes against 97. When Mr Tan, one of the partners in the firm went up to the front with the rest of the committee, I was left behind with Li Chin, an associate. She's around her mid twenties, I think. Anyway there was this super obnoxious man sitting behind us who was fat and brown. His handphone kept ringing and he kept answering it really loudly, I even wrote "I feel like smashing his handphone into his skull" on the notepad which I was supposed to be taking down highlights of the meeting.

Later when I turned around, I saw the other firm's letters sitting in a file on a seat next to him. Hi Mr Defendant. You are fat and rude. I dislike you. Anyway he was also damn annoying, Li Chin has the misfortune to sit in front of him and he kept coughing with out closing his mouth and he kept draping his arm over the seat in front, encroaching in MORE space.

The Chairperson's speech was so dull that I fell asleep listening to it. The fun started again when the accounts from this year were brought up with people accusing last year's committee of corruption, some stuff about light bulbs and electricity usage, a lot of shouting. In the end only 1 guy, some tenant who was attending the AGM for the first time, since the matter was quite big, spoke with enough wisdom and fairness to really impress me. "A clear eyed hope for the future" was what came to mind when I thought of him.

I had to leave early because the meeting, which was supposed to end at 4pm was dragged till 6:30pm, clashed with my grandma's birthday dinner. When I left they were doing voting for the '07 committee with the guy who impressed me being nominated. I hope he got a role!

The trial will be next week and I'll be going to court. Should be interesting.

Yesterday I was taking MRT to work when my train (towards town) arrived at the station. There was this woman in front on me, also half running up the escalator. Around the top of the escalator, she suddenly slipped and fell.

Somehow my first thought was to not let her fingers just stuck between the grooves of the escalator and my body just moved to grab her as she fell, and I ended up giving her this weird sort of bear hug for like 5 seconds as she stood up properly. I was also carrying my wallet in my hand which I dropped as I went to grab the woman and the guy behind me, some middle aged man, helped me pick it up. It was literally like everything was in slow motion, ala Baywatch.

Today I also went to withdraw from YJC. It was weird. The General Office was located on the 2nd level and there was this nice Indian old woman there. She said my name was nice and the Indian equivalent was Sangeetha and it meant harmony. I told her the Sangeetha I knew didn't seem very harmonious, that is, peaceful.

That got her started on this entire speech, a little on her own adolescent years where I think she hung out with bad company. She also said she had many friends who committed suicide from 16 - 19 because they had no guidance and how it was important to have guidance. She really looked like she was going to start crying at all moment and I was all O.O inside, but I really did listen. She didn't babble incoherently either, I could tell she really felt for the subject and was able to articulate herself well. She also said that YJC was a bad environment for character building and that the environment pulled people down. LOL. Afterwards she wished me all the best for my O levels and said she hoped that my heart and mind were at harmony with each other.

It was very weird, yet made sense in a way.

No comments: