Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Avatar had the same plot as Pocahontas

The last few days have been kind to me. From having lengthy and random conversations with Daryl over msn, to hanging out with the Math Studs (albeit separately) and Steph, JH and Ianthe, I still feel the same oh-dear-God panic in my belly, but it is slightly more muted. My heart still doth race in a completely un-sexy way at the thought of my 2330 hours flight tomorrow night though.

Sunday I had breakfast with Hadi. He was late, as usual. I bought 2 books from Borders while waiting, so it wasn't a waste of time. One was booker winner How Late It Was, How Late and the other was An Arsonist's Guide to Writer's Homes in New England. I hope the latter is amusing because I have reached my current threshold of depressing literature. It'll also be good to have something to destress with on a 16 hour plane ride back to Londonium. Anyway I had a nice breakfast at Cedele with him, and all the laughing made me feel nice and calm. Then we went to Starbucks and I got green tea latte all over my mouth and he didn't tell me.

I met up with my mother (who told me about my green tea latte stained lips) and we shopped a little before I headed back earlier without her (she was going to meet friends). I had dinner with my dad at a random kopitiam in Buona Vista and then rested a bit before heading off to Cheam's place. Halfway there I remembered I hadn't seen Kaijun at all, and on a whim made a call to him. I ended up going to his place and talking to him for almost an hour before moving on to Cheam's place.

By then the lovely humidity and heat had caused me to sweat, despite the fact that there was hardly any physical exertion on my part. Since Pulau Sibu also gave me hives, I was scratching away. Cheam the boar gave me medicine with the words "It's not drowsy". When I was drowsy later, he amended it to: "It's not drowsy for me". We ended watching some MTV Top 40 countdown and half talking rubbish. I must have been prattling on about a lot of rubbish, since I was almost knocked out by the medicine. Later he walked me back, which was good since the medicine also made me insanely paranoid. On the way back, I saw someone staring out from a window at us and I said "OH MY GOD SOMEONE IS LOOKING AT US!" (really loudly too), but just as I said that the person walked off, then Cheam looked up and saw nothing. I bet he thinks I'm insane now.

Monday, Ianthe, Jia Hui and Steph came over to my place. We ate Golden Pillow :D Then we bummed in my (messy) room, talking. We should have stuck to that instead of going on the epic plan of fail that happened next. Steph mentioned wanting to play L4D2. We took a bus to Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, the guy there refused to let us play because only she was a member - but the rules which were posted all over said a member could bring 3 guests. Okay. Then we walked inside the shopping centre, to look for another lan centre but it turned out to be members only. OKAYYYYY. I was starting to get frustrated.

We then headed to Bukit Timah Plaza because there used to be a famous one there. However upon walking a few rounds, we discovered that one had disappeared. What. The. Hell. God clearly did not want us to play L4D. But no, JH and Steph were so hell bent on it (and to be honest after putting in all that effort it seemed a waste to not play) and we ended up trudging across the road to take 61 to Sunset Way. We went to Clementi Arcade for some nice cold creamy comfort when we discovered that THE DAILY SCOOP WAS CLOSED. OMG FAIL*4. We ended up eating at the eatery next door and playing Uno, and finally FINALLY managed to find a lan centre.

Then came the last fail: Steam apparently has been working very badly with L4D2. My computer (just mine) kept CONSTANTLY DISCONNECTING FROM THE GAME. I'd play like 30 seconds then the server would drop me. I wanted to cry in frustration. Lousy lousy lousy. But then on Steph's prompting I finally gave up and went to the counter girl in hopes of getting a refund or something, when she went and messed around with my computer and somehow got the game to work properly. So then I started playing :D

Actually come to think of it there was yet another fail. 1 hour into the game, my computer got stuck. It didn't just hang, it just made my screen go all white with an outline of a gun on it. I could shoot, but I couldn't see anything. Just as well since at that moment everyone kind of died and the zombies went after my stuck game next. Then I exited and rejoined, only to find the entire rendering of the game went with it. The next 30 minutes was spent bumbling about not being able to differentiate zombies from teammates, zombies from environment, and expending a lot of rounds that I didn't really have as a result.

Needless to say we couldn't complete the campaign.

Today I saw Avatar with my father. In 3D at Cathay. I also had yummy fried fish and yong tau foo for dinner. Now I am hot, sticky and sweaty, and need a shower.

Taaaa.

No comments: