Friday, July 23, 2010

Don't Let the Sound of your own Wheels Drive you Crazy

Today there was a class outing in Holland Village (loved the location). It was good meeting up with everyone and seeing old faces. Upon half reflecting, I realised it was more than 2 years since we had left ACSI. That, is a long time to still keep bothering to keep in contact with everyone. Talking to Lex too I found out a few things :- (1) he still reads my blog (so hello if you see this) and (2) I've stopped looking for new music.

I remember a few years ago I was all bla bla bla music is my life - and thinking about it now it kind of still forms a very large part of it. I just stopped bothering to find new things, like I was happy with my lot like some old lady. At the same time, I started reviewing the music I already possessed, building up on old loves like Muse and The Arcade Fire. Currently though, the song and artists that power me through the (sometimes dreary) day are The Eagles, which has been sitting in my itunes for a few years - Take it Easy.

Music still keeps me sane. It is still very much an escape for me, but an escape to things which are certain and familiar. One of the things that stuck me about Patrick Bateman in American Psycho is that he dedicates almost whole chapters to new music he's listening to, reviewing the nuances and style. Sometimes, this occurs while he's using an axe to chase someone around a room. He plays his music on his walkman (hahaha, '80s old school), earphones tightly clasped over his ears, while kicking a bum to death. Music is my way, like his (I should probably stop comparing myself to Patrick Bateman), to disconnect both reality and the thoughts in my mind.

I keep thinking that the last trip I want to take with my parents before I get married, would be to drive down Route 66 (my dad's old dream) with my parents. It was my Dad that first put music into my life with his blues guitar work. Thank you Daddy.

No comments: