Thursday, August 26, 2010

As hard as fingernails

Tomorrow is my last day in M/s A-. Today at work I was finding it really hard to concentrate on my work. I surfed the net a little (I found a dog species called Gull Dong), read a little until I gave up and went walking down the airless stairwell again till I felt dizzy around the 20th floor (I started to have problems with depth perception/putting down my foot properly to ensure I wouldn't fall down) and had to exit and take a lift up. After coming out of the lift, I ran into M- who was distributing the most awesome snowskin mooncakes from Raffles Hotel. She gave me a champagne flavoured one, and I followed her around as she was giving them out to everyone. After that I lingered in the room of one of the analysts, showing him the Elisabeth Everada v. Billionaires Management Worldwide (doesn't a name like that reek SCAM?), we got called down by another analyst who said her partner had gotten tipsy on the three drops of champagne in the mooncake. Thus, we went down to laugh at him.

I met Jiahui for lunch. The company was far superior to the food, which was a depressing waste of rice, sauce, egg and meat. It was just as well that my 7th month caused asthma has given some vague reprieve to my overactive stomach. The previous lunches I went with Eryn, the analysts and the other interns respectively. Tomorrow I have lunch with the entire team, legal and analysts included.

Today when I went into to see Mark Y, he was all "why are you leaving/all my friends are leaving" and I felt quite sad. I actually did some thinking a few days ago, even when he was saying goodbye to one of the other interns just 3 weeks ago, that he'd be the person I'd miss the most. He occupied the unique position of giving me work, but yet not actually being my boss. This results in a good combination of un-intimidating interaction. Plus of course personalities and interests factor in, which also worked well. He also looked a bit like Kaijun, which helped since I find myself being more likely to click with a person if they already look like a friend (I'm sure there have been some psychological studies on this sort of thing). In short, I will miss him. I went back to my desk and felt a feel tears about to form.

Later however, just as I was about to leave the office to go meet Swan Yee for dinner, Mark Y called me into the office again. I wondered if he was going to say more stuff about my leaving which would make me sad. I walked in and he asked me to close the door, which set off some alarm bells as it was the first time he had ever made such a request. He dithered a bit, and clearly looked really uncomfortable/upset with what he was going to say, and wondered out loud of he should tell me. Finally after taking in a deep breath, he said that they've decided to let M- go.

Needless to say, it came as a shock.

As I walked out of the office thinking about everything I've learned in the Corporate world from working in such a large firm, I learned that the more I saw, the more terrified and disgusted I feel with everything. Part of me, apart from Mark Y still being in M/s A-, was glad to leave tomorrow. I no longer possess the same strong emotional bonds that I had just hours ago.

No comments: