Friday, September 17, 2010

I've probably mentally traumatised some kid from RJC

I've been putting off typing something totally witty and awesome about Vietnam, so here is the email I sent to one of my student mentees:-

"Dear V- (aha, another Wong! Except it is also one of the commonest Chinese surnames around and we probably descended from the same person 1,587 years ago.)

Hello, and welcome to LSE. I'm M- Wong, a 2nd year student, studying Government and History, and will be your student mentor for this academic year. My role is essentially to make the transition into university student life as seamless as possible. This includes answering all those questions deemed too silly to ask during department inductions (or questions perhaps not even relevant to academia), to simply being a friendly figure around an admittedly physically small campus (but nonetheless one teeming to the brims with people). If there are any questions I am unable to answer, I will be able refer you to the relevant departments and support areas in school. I can be contacted during the entire academic year through this email, helloiamanemail@email.com.

As your mentor, I'd like to arrange a meeting on [time, date and location]. Attached to this email is a campus map of LSE for further guidance. This would be to introduce myself and answer firsthand any immediate questions before school starts. Also note that this would be a group meeting with other new students in the Government department, so please let me know if you'd prefer a one-on-one meeting if you think it would be less awkward for you than a group meeting (I promise to try to be as un-awkward as possible in both types of meetings). Please do email me first if you do intend to come to the meeting on the [date] so I can know how many to expect.

For those that have read the email only after the meeting has taken place, or are unable to attend the meeting, also do email me to arrange another meet-up. I almost missed my own meeting with my student mentor last year since it did not occur to me that there would be any important emails sent before school started, so I throughly understand.

Hope to see you on the 30th!


M-


P.S. tiredness, and the hurrah of sending the last email has prompted me to type that odd greeting. If you don't reply I shall assume I have indadvertedly scared you off. Apologies in advance."

No comments: