Monday, February 20, 2012

Mid-Term

As usual when it hits around mid-term (I think it's week 6 now, horrors), I get the mid-term blues. It's the feeling that one gets when one hasn't been able to rest for a while, and yet knowing that the end isn't quite here. As a result you sort of sink into a mode of general meh-ness, where you know you've got lots of work to do, but don't have it in your too feel too bothered until the deadline is absolutely pressing.

So anyway this weekend, in a I-will-fight-this-meh-feeling mood, I went to Oxford with Jia. Met up with Gen and Daryl for lunch, then had dinner with Cheam. Went to of course, to my favourite book place on earth, The Last (opposite Christchurch, as I finally learned). Bought 5 books, all for £10!

Peter Carey - Illywhacker (feel excited and want to start on it!)
Jane Harris - The Observations
Amitav Ghosh - The Shadow Lines
Yoko Ogawa - Hotel Iris
Luke Rhinehart - The Dice Man

And as an aside, today I finished reading the Wordsworth edition of Maupassant's Short Stories.

We had lunch at Brown's, where Daryl told us he saw Emma Watson before. Then we had cream tea at The Rose, which was absolutely delightful. Also never knew that English Breakfast/Everyday tea was a blend of different sorts of tea leaves. Not sure why it never occurred to me to question it before. For dinner Cheam brought us to a Spanish tapas place, which was packed (luckily he made reservations). By the time I had gotten back home (at 10:30pm), I was throughly exhausted. Still it was nice actually being out the whole day, and not studying once! Yesterday though, I made up for it by studying in school the entire afternoon with Shu and Sye, after going to church.

Not sure why I didn't mention this in the previous post, but on Wednesday I went with Dexter to the Science Museum, to see the Hidden Heroes exhibition. It was alright, I did enjoy it, but I was surprised at how sparse everything was. The upside was that inside the exhibition though, there were no kids. It must've been half-term or something, because the entire Science Museum was filled with kids. We also went to see the timekeeping bit of the museum, and the Wellcome History of Medicine exhibit. I love how they have bits of an actual old shop inside. But of course reality returned, and I ended up studying at Dexter's house afterwards before going home for dinner.

I will make the effort to go to the gym today, then head to school and study for a bit before Swing Dance.

A quick list of pressing things on my mind:-
1) Ex-landlord issues
2) Dissertation & all related issues
3) Government project (25% of grade!)
4) Columbia application
5) Social policy essay due this week
6) Mini presentation of Napoleonic art/culture

No comments: