Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Month of July and some of August

I don't think I've ever posted so little before in the entire history of this blog. The good part is that I have never been so stable and happy as I have been in a long time - that is for this past year. The bad part is that as a result, I feel less like writing things down. Yesterday I passed one of those growing up bench marks, hence I feel a bit more in the mood to reflect a bit. Yes, that's right, this person who permanently feels incompetent and overwhelmed has gotten herself a job. Hooray! I guess it's nice that even if I don't have confidence in myself, someone is still eager to hire me.

Anyway July was pretty much travelling month. After getting back from Turkey, I had the grand total of 2 days to rest and get ready to meet my Mum in Barcelona. From Barcelona we spent a few days, then we went off to Girona and to see Figueres. Then we flew back to meet my Grandma and Dad in London. The next day (10th July), we went to Hampton Court Palace where I found out my results. I had given Tiff my LSE details and she called me just as I was viewing some artwork by Titan, and the call ended with me screaming in joy cause I got a first class for my beloved dissertation.

The 12th July was my graduation, and that was an interesting day. Woke up early, got dressed, etc. Felt like Harry Potter when I wore the robes. After the ceremony, I met up with friends who had especially come to take photos, people like Dexter, Tiff and Shu who had their graduations at later times and dates. That was very nice. Lunch with my family was at the now-renamed Pu's Brasserie, for old time's sake I suppose. I remember napping after getting back, and then going out into the damp evening to meet my Aunt and Uncle in Hakkasan for dinner.

The 13th July to the 20th July was spent in North Italy. Saw lots of places, and went back to Florence, which I loved. My Dad drove through the Tuscan countryside, and we ate like pigs. I can see why Tuscany is so lauded for its beauty. We also visited a town called San Gimignano, which was overflooded with tourists, but still incredibly pretty. On the last day, in Milan, I ran into HM and her family in the Cathedral, which was a nice coincidence. The only problem being that when I met her, I sort of screamed, and then babbled stupidly about the dead saints I saw around.

Now finally after getting back to the UK, I'm going in and out of Kent with Joaquin. So far we've been spending at least 2 nights a week in Littlebourne, and seeing bits of the countryside at a time. Last week we went to Dover Castle, the week before that we explored Canterbury itself. Today we went walking about Littleborne for about 2 hours. I got stung by some strange plant that made my wrist itch and swell in bumps. We saw horses, cows and one Rolls Royce going at 80 miles per hour on a bike path. Tomorrow we're going on a longer ramble around Wye.

Seen quite a few performances lately too. I watched a production of Sleeping Beauty by the Peter Schaufuss Ballet Company and was not impressed at all. I spotted lots of mistakes, plus some of the choreography seemed outright vulgar. A few days later, I watched the Maris Liepa Gala and BOOM, huge contrast. The production by the Maris Liepa foundation and its guest performers was incredible. Met Cielo and Ian afterwards to rave about it in Chipotle over dinner. Then on Sat, 4th Aug, Shu and I watched As You Like It by Iris Theatre in Convent Garden which blew me away. I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan but wow, definitely one of the best plays I've ever seen, rivalled perhaps only by Woman In Black. The acting and singing were superb, the costuming lovely, and the set (the audience moves with the scene changes in the garden of St. Paul's Church in Convent Garden) mind blowing. Sunday Joaquin and I also saw Spamalot, which was the realisation of an old dream I had when I was into a huge Monty Python phase.

Should add that on Sat, Joaquin and I went to see the Africa Village by the African Olympic Committee, and got free Egyptian food lol. Reminded me a bit of the Shanghai World Expo, but on a smaller scale. Sunday, we went to Colombia Road Flower Market with Shu. I bought 3 lavender plants for £5, Joaquin and I got a small venus flytrap for his brother for £3 (that I dubbed Percy), and Joaquin bought me a huge bunch of lovely sunflowers for £5. Amazingly cheap! Was quite an experience too, with all the shopkeepers shouting over each other to advertise their wares.

Amazingly, I feel mentally winded now from typing so much. Phew.

No comments: