Thursday, August 02, 2012

Seagulls in Piccadilly

On Saturday Cielo and I hung out for the whole day. We went to Broadway Market, and had Banh Mi. As usual we talked about all sorts of off-colour things, and managed to chase away the middle-aged couple sitting next to us on a bench facing the canal. It was also the first time I had (and seen!) Banh Mi with fish. Cielo had jellied eel too, in an old eel and pie place that was filled with other curious souls trying jellied eels. GROSS.

At the other end of Broadway Market, we came across a commotion. Lots of screaming and people standing about, watching. Afterwards, I bought a Big Issue from a seller and managed to get the story from him (in a heavy English accent which Cielo couldn't understand, LOL). Apparently two dogs had started fighting and the owners were freaking out. The owner of one of the dogs tried to pull her dog anyway, but the dog was hysterical and bit her by accident. And hence the police, and paramedics were called. Lovely, British tax dollars at work. Meanwhile the other owner and dog (the aggressor) had run away before anyone could stop her.

Afterwards, we took the tube to Piccadilly Circus because I wanted to go to Lillywhites to buy some running gear. As we were crossing the street (from Boots where I bought some Spongebob plasters!), we spotted a seagull flying about with something massive in its mouth. Just as we were waiting by the road to cross the street, the seagull dropped the object it was carrying onto the road, and we managed to get a good look of it. It was a pair of wings, grey, with pink bird legs - but no body! Instead where the body should've been was a mass of skin? and blood. WTF.

For dinner we met Hadi and ended up queuing something like two hours to eat at Pitt and Cue. I had to agree though, that the food was good. But as to whether it was worth the incredibly long wait, is another thing. The seating was quite cramped too.

On Tuesday afternoon, I went with Joaquin and his friends, Ting Yu and Wai Lam to Dover. We visited Dover Castle (£15 entry!) and it was super rushed. Still I liked the place. We split up and because we wanted to see different things, so Wai Lam and I rushed to queue up for the Operation Dynamo/Dover Castle tunnels bit. I don't think I was ever so anxious as I was when we queued up, because they only let a limited amount of people view it at a time. When it finally got to us, the man was like 'I'm so sorry, but there's just too many of you!' and he'd already chased the people behind us away. I begged and pleaded with him, and he relented and let us in (number 35 and 36 out of a group that was meant to be just 30) and God I think my heart almost exploded with thankfulness. Seeing the tunnels was great, and we leaned why the entry to Dover Castle was so expensive: the tunnels were decked with the most high-tech sort of projectors and all to tell the story of the evacuation of Dunkirk. I was very impressed. Never seen such effort put into a museum exhibit before.

Today I realised that I watch more Olympics visiting Joaquin in Kent than I do when I'm in London where the Olympics are actually being played. That is, I have access to a television whereas in London I don't even have a proper broadband connection. Pffft. Spirit of the age indeed.

No comments: