Friday, November 16, 2012

Vertigo

On Wednesday to Thursday, I fell sick with Vertigo (is that grammatically correct?). I also learnt, as I fell sick and felt like shite, that Vertigo doesn't refer to a fear of heights (which is acrophobia), but rather to a specific type of dizziness. We have dear Alfred Hitchcock and his famous movie, Vertigo to thank for that, as the main character suffers from both Vertigo and Acrophobia. SO ANYWAY: I was down with Vertigo from Wednesday to Thursday, and boy did I feel wretched. All bodily movement had a strange effect on my brain, and my limbs felt like they were swimming in a thick soup of air. It took me an entire day of suffering (which I described to a colleague as being stuck in a dubstep song) to realise the appropriate word for what I felt was dizzy/giddy. LOL.

Today I got really irritated with my regular students, and wanted to throttle them. Good thing I didn't. Instead I punished them by making them read out loud excerpts from a local politicians extremely long and fairly dry speech. HUR HUR HUR.

Taught a grand total of (almost) 3 back to back classes today. By the third class I felt quite deadened and worn out. Luckily this class was a generally cooperative lot. I ended up being one of the last to leave the office, which was a strange feeling. Also when I finally got off my second bus to walk from the bus stop home, I felt my knees almost buckle underneath me. I am definitely going to wear flats to work tomorrow.

Tomorrow I have to teach two classes, both younger 'uns than the lot I'm used to reckoning with. God be with me.

Also, tomorrow marks the beginning of my second month working for M/s L.

No comments: