Sunday, November 11, 2012

Yesterday Was 10.11.12

Yesterday when I was teaching, the students asked me for the date. I told them it was the 9th November, to which they replied 'but it was the 9th yesterday!' We all then started checking the date and realised loo and behold it was 10.11.12. Then I tried to teach them palindromes and sort of failed. I thought of example of 19.11.1911 which was uh, more than a hundred years ago, and really isn't a palindrome. One student however, knew what I meant and gave me a proper example from this year, which saved the day (and the point I was trying to teach them). Hooray.

During my first class early yesterday morning, I received the good news that my last class was cancelled. I could not stop beaming like an idiot throughout the rest of the class. I even told the kids and  tried to fake get them excited alongside me, but they were too jaded for that. Oh well.

So I managed to get home around 3:45pm yesterday, and finally managed to have my lunch then. I got takeaway salad from the Holland Village MRT. Then I fell into bed and slept for a good 3-4 hours. When I finally got up, I felt horrid, like a truck had hit me. I had fallen into an extremely deep sleep and all my muscles had switched off or something. The same thing happened this morning when my parents tried to wake me and failed spectacularly. I could not be woken.

I finally got up around 11am when my parents rang the house and asked me how Ryan was. Then I sort of shot up (or sort of snapped slightly awake from slumber) and went off to look for him. I had actually been tasked with looking after him while my parents went off to church, and I had evidently slept through it all. Much to my relief Ryan was just sitting docilely in the living room looking bored. Nothing looked out of place or destroyed. So all good. Except the moment I came down, he bolted right to the kitchen and in front of my eyes, snatched up a bar of chocolate hidden in the deep recesses of the fridge and ate 3/4 of the bar. Uh ok.

So later during lunch with my extremely old grandmother (Mum's side), Ryan was practically vibrating off his seat and hopping about. I LOL-ed.

After lunch we went to Uncle KL's place to hang out for a bit, then swim. There, I managed to chat to him for a bit and he asked me what I wanted for Christmas. That sort of got me thinking again about Christmas, and rather self-centeredly about myself and what I actually wanted. Answer is, I want lots of things, but none of them quite tangible or small.

For example I want to be more healthy and less sickly. I want to be able sleep a good amount every night. I want to be close to myself and I want to have a strong relationship with Joaquin. I also want to be able to connect with my students more, and be a good teacher. I want to travel to Peru to see the Machu Picchu, the Bolivian Salt Flats and Patagonia in Chile. I want to visit Cuba. I'd love to have a fabulous wardrobe. Maybe get a cute ginger cat that I'd call a stupid name like Herbert or something. I want to adopt a Cambodian child, finished reading and actually like War and Peace and go trekking again.

It's not that I don't really know what I want, I do. It's just that they're not quite things that a mere Christmas present can fulfill! 

No comments: