Thursday, November 08, 2012

There's No Antidote

Today, after dragging myself out of bed from two straight exhausting days at work, I got hit with yet another class to relief teach. Not only would I have to prepare extra materials in order to teach this class,  I also had to stay back 2 and a half hours past my normal working time to teach it. At the same time, I still faced a veritable mound of marking and preparation work for my other classes on Friday and Saturday. I suppose it went without saying that I was incredibly unhappy with this development. I was raging inside, from the unfairness and frustation of it all. I had been reduced to an angry, pouty child.

So sitting there, in front of my laptop and seething, I decided to look for the angriest music I could think of: Swedish House Mafia vs. Knife Party's Antidote. Now while music itself is inherently insipid dance music, the full music video is anything but. It was one of the best, most violent and inappropriate music videos I had ever seen. And, I associated the music with the video. So as I sat there angrily typing out teaching notes and materials, I pretended I was one of the masked gang members in the video shooting rival gangsters, hopping on tables and such. After playing the song on repeat for at least 10 times, I felt much better.

This week has been a crazily hectic week for me. I have to teach 7 classes in total which is a new record for me, although a normal teaching schedule is often 10 classes a week. The biggest problem however is that of these 7 classes, the material only overlaps in 2 of these classes. That means I have a grand total of 6 classes to prepare for, that is at least 12 hours of preparation to do. THAT, is madness. Coupled with the fact that I have marking given to me by other teachers, I am sinking under a pile of work. 

I just keep telling myself to think about next week, when I get 3 days off in a row, thanks to Deepavali. 

Now, just 2 more days of this continuous craziness to reckon with before I can take a 3 day break.

No comments: