Monday, February 05, 2024

Reappearing Gem Biscuits

Sometime last week I was downstairs in the living room with E (I think I was getting her to do some work) when M toddled by holding an almost empty bag of those old school gem biscuits. When I looked up about 30 seconds later M had vanished out of sight, and I knew she had gone upstairs to look for a grandparent. This of course is not a problem, but I looked around briefly and didn't see the bag of biscuits anywhere, so I went upstairs to get the bag of biscuits from her. 

When I got upstairs she was with my Mum in her room. What was strange was that my Mum said she never saw M carrying a bag of gem biscuits...? I then looked around all of the 3 upstairs rooms, and didn't see any bag of biscuits. Was I mistaken? Anyway I forgot about it and went downstairs again to continue whatever it was I was doing.

Today however, when my Dad went down for dinner (carrying M, who had been hanging out with him in my room), my Dad was pissed and going on and on about how he had told me to never bring food upstairs, and that M had made a mess all over my bed. I was perplexed because I don't have food in my room, at least not food that M could reach and/or be easily opened and accessible (I don't think she wants to open pre-made sauce packs of Prima taste Hainanese Chicken Rice, and she can't open the tub of love letters I bought because of the tape around it). As usual my protests that I hadn't brought and left food upstairs went ignored, and my Dad kept ranting at me. Great. 

Well, now that I've eaten dinner and gone upstairs to clean my bed, I can safely say I know where those bloody gem biscuits have ended up. What horrifies me however, is the thought that M had somehow stashed them away in some place that was unknowable to all the adults, and given that it is Singapore, the amount of pests it could have potentially attracted. And I still have no idea where her hiding spot is! Goodness.

On a separate note, M is sick again. This time with some sort of gastro-intestinal bug that has been making her throw up and have diarrhoea. She had about a total of 7 days well before she came down with her current bout. Poor child. This illness however, also meant that she escaped my ire after messing up my bed. In that sense, she lucked out.

-----

Nonsense phrases I say to my kids:

1) Crunchy gabunchy
2) Stinky gabinky
3) Oogedy boogedy

No comments: