Saturday, November 29, 2008

The night before Prom itself, I had a semi-nightmare that everything about prom went wrong. I woke up feeling a bit worried. The rest of the day was spent watching Dexter, coupled with a mad rush around 3pm to get showered and changed into my dress and stockings. Finally around 3:50 I met Stephanie and Toh at Far East Plaza, and there we wandered to the hairdressers. To my dismay the hairdresser I made an appointment with was missing, and I was stuck with two confused and evidently lost hairdressers who didn't really understand much English. The joy. After helping me translate a little, Stephanie went off to another hairdresser's.

As I sat seething in the chair, I started thinking about how everything seemed terrible enough to ruin the rest of the night. I started to get even more pissed when the girl doing my hair was curling my hair into tight small curls, not large and loose like how I originally wanted them. I began thinking about how this must be some sort of screwed up karma for the thousands of ants that I've killed in my room. Finally after the girl was done, I waited a while for Stephanie's hairdresser to finish. Then the 3 of us walked to Isetan Scotts for the makeup.

The makeup with a bit of a disaster too. For instance whenever the girl did anything to my eyes like mascara and eyeliner, they'd start tearing and the makeup would smudge. It was terrible. Anytime she touched my eyes, I felt my body react through sudden jerks which I had to fight hard to suppress. During the times she wandered away, I would stare out of the window at the people walking by. I noticed something peculiar. Any men that were walking by the window would look at me, and meet my eyes. The women on the other hand, upon spotting me would quickly avert their eyes. I'm not really sure where the different genders reacted to disparately.

After the makeup session, the girl helped me put on and adjust my veil. Then it was a rush to Pacific Plaza where I arrived just in time to get into Mr Hadi's car. Leaving Orchard Road, there was a jam. Later when we arrived near Fullerton, there was also a jam. All in all, traffic was quite a nightmare.

At the ballroom himself, I first met Lex and Ted Kin and started talking to them. Then I later met more and more people I recognised and before I knew it, full blown camwhoring had started. We later shuffled into the ballroom and I sat at table 14 with Daryl, Gen, Ted Kin, Darren, Emil, Shao Xiong, Mai and JC. After the dinner was over, we also ended up celebrating Chun Wui's 18th birthday with a nice NYDC cake. Then commenced more photo taking where I ended up with my most beloved picture of all night:


YAY!!! (look how far apart we are standing ): )

After deciding that my feet were killing me nice and throughly, I followed Kyle and Jon Pang up to their room to collect my flats that I had dumped there earlier. We ended up staying in the room as more people (and 80% of the KKK) started streaming in. Finally after about 30 minutes+ we started walking out and walked from Fullerton to Clarke Quay. After deliberating for a while if we wanted to go to Arena where everyone was or go to a quieter place. We ended up going to the quieter place - Clinic. I ordered my usual Vodka Lime there and was happy sitting there talking about rubbish with Nic, Jon Pang and CNE when Yihang smsed me asking me to go for the post post prom party.

A while later he came along and I finished the last bit of my drink and followed him, Clement, JTek and DLai to take a cab to Holland V where he opened up Color Bar for us to laze about. A short while later, the !nk people came - Jiayun, Daryl, Chong Wee, Gen, Kaijun and Brendan. After a foray to the nearby 7-11, alcohol was acquired in plentiful amounts and some of the guys started drinking. I wandered downstairs to rest, needing a break from the excessive mental stimuli of the night's events. After a while, more and more people started arriving downstairs, seeking to be away from the 3 non-!nk guys upstairs who were getting increasingly inebriated. A typical !nk rubbish talking session commenced, with the main theme being gossip.

After a while we went upstairs and encountered a drunk DLai and JTek flopping about the floor. Every few minute JTek would protest that he's not drunk, then promptly die the next second and become unconscious for about half a minute. It was the most amusing thing I saw in ages. He also tried walking down the stairs, which was a really scary prospect in case he fell down. Somehow, the two of them survived the night and the 3 of them, plus Clement, went back around 6am on the first bus back.

After they left, we gathered around the table (sans Gen who left for home around 4am) and started talking about how we all first met and became friends. Thinking about something that happened recently (in a 1 year ago versus 18 years of our lives way), yet had created such a strong bond in us made me think about how sad it was that after this year, such gathering would be few and far between again. Still it felt significant that we had all opted to stay together, awake thoughout this significant night.

Around 7am, we left Color Bar to go eat breakfast at Crystal Jade. I had a rather sad Beef and Fish congee. The congee was savoury, but the meat tasted poor and badly done. We also started speaking a bit in Cantonese there. Finally after breakfast around 8am, we started leaving for home. Kaijun and I stayed about a bit longer because we were getting a ride from Yihang's mother. It wasn't till about 9am that I finally got home and showered, and oddly enough I didn't feel that tired so I went to upload pictures to facebook. Finally around 10am, some 24 hours after I woke up the previous day, I started to read Everything is Illuminated and felt sleepy shortly after. And thus ended my nocturnal adventures for 2008 ACSI Prom.

-----

Tomorrow morning I leave for Cambodia - so see you guys when I get back on the 5th of December. Bye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my my. which cantonese words again? oh, yes. the one that began with d and ended with iu. =D

wishing you a safe trip in cambodia, mel!

(p.s, please pay me a happy pizza per sexy photo of you on facebook. U O me)

xoxo ;)