Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Today I attended someone's 18th birthday party. It was quite unlike any other one I have attended before - there was a DJ, loud music, a 'bar' and a swimming pool - a potent mix when teenagers are thrown in. Even though I was eventually joined by my classmates and two girls I met there, Tian and Clarissa, I have not felt so 'out' of it in ages.

I really couldn't understand the behaviour of majority of the people there. They were dancing, drinking, and in general being happy and having the time of their lives - and I was sitting in a corner talking to people. I even felt annoyed as I saw them staggering about from too much drink. By the time I left the place with Jim, Charles, Lex, Elliot and Joash, I had encountered 2 girls who had drunk so much they flopped over and died, countless others who were clearly wasted, random patches of puke and some girl pissing in an alley. I also lost my respect for the people I saw dry humping on the dancefloor. Apparently I also missed an epic make out session between S.Y. (not Suat!) and random guys (which I thank for the preservation of my sanity and sight).

I was definitely not the only one there who felt uncomfortable with how the party went, yet somehow the whole thing really struck a chord with me. Part of it was when I knew I was getting annoyed and people told me to 'chillax', something which only served to make me more annoyed. They say you learn something about yourself everyday - today's lesson is the understanding that I could never live in that manner.

Still, the party brought about little blessings. Like how I talked to a few people I never really talked to before when school was in progress. Mr Intense Stare was also there, with a dye job that someone described as 'a golden monkey', and that made me giggle. But all in all, I hope I don't have another such experience again soon.

1 comment:

celesteee said...

Mr Intense Stare was also there, with a dye job that someone described as 'a golden monkey'

hahaha Mr Intense Stare. I AGREE.

-celeste