Friday, May 08, 2009

I Just Ate A Milkybar

Hi. Incredibly I am not quite dead yet. Ièm sitting at a moniter in Pokhara with really dodgily slow internet service at a rate of 50 rupees for 30 mins (thatès S$1) to you, and apprently with a keyboard thatès half messed up. The joy.

I just finished a 5 day trek around Nepalès Annapurna Conservation Area and my calf muscles feel like theyève all been shredded into little bits of tissue. My thighs hurt like hell too. Ièll write more when I get back to Kathmandu, tomorrow. That is IF I get back. For the past 5 days weève literally have had no connection with the outside world. Before we left on Monday morning, we heard that Kathmandu had a curfew due to protests and rioting on the streets by opposing political parties. This came after the army chief was sacked by the Nepalese PM, then vetoed by the President. As a result the PM and the rest of the cabinet quit, leaving Nepal effectively government-less. This in addition to the fact that the minorities are already protesting in the East of the country and have threatened to storm the capital because er, their rioting went ignored.

Plus on the way from Kathmandu to Pokahara we were held at a roadblock for more than 4 hours. This is because the villagers nearby closed off the road, which is the only road from Kathmandu to the other towns (thus closing off all gas, fuel and food supplies, driving prices up in the capital sky high). The army people were sitting around watching the roadblock too, helpless. Nevermind that the roadblock consisted of a few layers of logs laid across the road and some random burnings of incense. This held up hundreds of tourists like us, in addition to more locals. We could have stormed them if we wanted to -____________________- Meanwhile, the shops nearby the affected area made a huge killing selling things from 20 RHP Lays marked up to 50 RHP (50 RHP = S$1) to boiled eggs. It was madness.

But what can I sayÉ (thatès meant to be a question mark btw), this is Nepal, where my google reader hardly works because the internet here is far too slow and power outages are scheduled daily yet still happen randomly. I can hardly believe Iève elected to stay here for a month, yet somehow Ièm slowly getting used to it.

-----

DID YOU KNOW THAT LIKE JUST AFTER I TYPED THAT LINE THE POWER WENT OUT AND MY POST GOT STUCK IN DRAFT LIMBO.

AND I AM TYPING IN CAPS NOW BECAUSE I AM BORDERLINE HYSTERICAL?

AND THAT PACKING THE ROOM I WAS ASSIGNED MAKES ME FEEL A LITTLE BIT BETTER?

BUT AT LEAST I HAVE POWER TODAY.

AND THIS IS FINALLY POSTED ON MONDAY 11TH MAY AT 10:54 SINGAPORE TIME?

No comments: