Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I read a quote somewhere that said something like "leaving is like dying", but I can't find it online anywhere

It has been approximately 17 days since I have left Singapore and 9 hours since I've last seen my parents. I already miss home and my parents. I missed my parents even when they were with me for the past few days, when we went to Portobello market, when we argued about the price of beddings/hairdryers and even when we were annoyed at each other because of our idiosyncrasies.

For the past few weeks since I've been in the UK, I've been traveling about from South England (Eastborne, Brighton, Bath) to South Wales (Abergavenny, Carmathen, Pembroke) and back to South England (Ross-on-Wye, Lea, Tewkesbury, Stratford-upon-Avon).

I've also explored almost every bit of central London. I feel like I have been here forever. I feel like I have a GPS built in my brain of central London. But somehow every street I walk down, every route I take, makes me think of my parents (especially my dad) because they are the ones that originally showed me the way.

When I walked today with my roomate, Zoe, from Covent Garden to Oxford Street, I felt sad. When we heeded down Goodge and Tottenham Court, I felt even more pangs. The worst was when we headed down Gordon Square Gardens and I remembered how just yesterday we sat there eating cheap sandwiches and my dad was so pleased with these chocolate puddings he got from Marks and Spencers at 4 for a pound (which were really yummy).

In short, I miss my parents a lot. At the core of this is the fact that I'm afraid because I've never been really good with being alone and that I'm afraid to grow up. I've thought these past few days how I wish I was a little girl again (or at least younger) and could stay happy with my parents all day in Singapore with my friends (who I also miss, but not enough to cry over apparently). The world outside is scary, and as a student of history and an avid reader of current affair magazines, boy do I know this.

I need love and lots of security, none of which are quite present here, but I guess I just have to suck it up and make do - and wait patiently for December.

No comments: