Sunday, April 18, 2010

I hate Bran Flakes

On the second day, Jiayun and I missed breakfast because we were so tired and slept in. Daryl, ever the wonderful and conscientious person, woke up on time and collected breakfast for us instead. Well, he took two boxes of Bran Flakes and I hate Bran Flakes. Something about it just sounds too healthy to be tasty. It's like eating Cardboard Flakes. So I came up with a wild notion (my mind is most fertile of wild notions when I am around Daryl, especially) to feed it to ducks.

At the end of the day, when we were all too exhausted the three of us gathered next to the river than runs next to St Hilda's college and I finally got to feed Bran Flakes to three ducks that wandered by. They started pecking at each other to get to the food and three soft duck down feathers floated down the river after a fit of violence. Daryl stopped me from attempting to murder a duck by throwing an apple at it (also obtained from breakfast).

And this event, is how I choose to remember Oxford with Jia and Daryl - random, silly and bathed in the soft hues of sunshine in a city of spires. Also probably wildly inappropriate and surprising, with a gigantic goose who flew to the ducks and scared me so I ducked behind Daryl.

We had two really exceptionally good meals - one Japanese at place called Endamame (lovely pink and green seaweed salad, salmon hotpot and free flow tea) and Rice Box, 4 overflowing plates of meat and rice for 8 pounds per person. Then there was Moo (I think), the milkshake place where this lactose intolerant person had a fruit blend drink instead. S&D ice-cream, Bailey's cream was also absolutely delightful. Even the random Chicken Tikka microwave meal tasted good - because these were all meals that were eaten together with the best of friends.

The Ballroom, this vintage store nearby St Hilda's was also delightful. We ended up going there everyday and I bought 2 scarves, a handbag and a dress for 14 pounds. Plus I finally got Daryl his 19th birthday gift, a nice manly scarf. Arcadia was another treasure trove and I bought some nice cards and 3 books - one a delightful collection of dirty limericks for a pound 50p. Jia and I also somehow went to Bicester village as well (with an extremely reluctant Daryl who ended up buying a pair of shoes and two pairs of pants I might add - Jia bought the least with a pair of gloves and a scarf I think) and I got two blouses and a pair of gloves.

Best of all of course was the conversation - next to cold fires while drinking in a very Oxford pub (you could hear names like Grotius echoing in the background), lying in bed in our room, whilst walking along Magdalen Park, up in some church tower, in Blackwell's Art and Poster store, on the bus to Bicester village and back, over multiple meals. I don't think I've been so silly or laughed so much in such a long time.

In short, Oxford was awesome, and would not have been so without my two lovely companions, Daryl and Jiayun. However good things cannot last, and it ended with the three of us half sprinting down to Gloucester Green to catch the 9:10pm Oxford Tube to London Victoria. As I was about to leave Jia at Warren Street tube station, we hugged and were surrounded by a group of black youths who started laughing manically at the sight of us hugging and half surrounded us (11:30pm-ish, London). Then as I was one block away from my dorm, I passed a prostitute who shouted 'what are you looking at?' at me, still clasping a condom between her teeth, when I was just trying to glance at the road in order to cross safely.

Oh God, London. I do loathe thee.

No comments: