Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Golden Age

Economic History talks of the Golden Age of Economic Growth which occur mainly from the 1950s to 1973 - the post WWII recovery era till the first Oil Crisis. For the past few days I have been up to my eye(balls? brows?) with such readings. They are a most happy thing compared to readings on The End of The Golden Age (post-1973) and things such as Failure of Russian Economy, The 1930s Debt Crisis. As a course, EH101 is lovely lovely thing to study. It is a wonderful convergence of history, politics and little bits of IB economics converging together. Preparing for exams however, is quite a pain because the scope is far too wide and amorphous. It is probably one of the most structureless, anchorless modules to study for in the LSE exams.

Anyway that is not what compelled me to write again. I am more than often frustrated with the course, let alone wax lyrical about how it is (because I am always leaning to complaining more than appreciating, yes I am that crotchety old cat lady that lives down the street). Instead it made me think about my own Golden Age, which I know well is happening before my eyes now - despite all the negativity that has been flowing about my veins about everything related to life in general (and no, contrary to certain rumours I am nowhere near suicidal or anything pertaining to the matter of depression).

A Chew told me once (or perhaps many times?) about how the Golden Age really occurs in ones youth, when we are not belaboured by words like Boss, Responsibility and Mortgage and at the same time possess the new word of Independence. I think I got a false start at this, mainly because when I came down to London I fell quickly in love with another that preferred playing foosball to spending time with me. I never had time to discover myself in a new country, though there was definitely development in experience and character.

Now 3 months on, I find myself surrounded by new things and new people. I am faced with new and happier possibilites after old doors have been shut to me. As for the distant past, I have now come to peace with it in my own odd way and talked to old friends that I once consigned into the past. I've freaked out about being alone enough, travelled with friends in the UK and strengthened old friendships. As the academic year draws closer to the end with (urgh) exams, I am left once more to evaluate my time in London, and though the diagnosis is bittersweet in the short term, I know in the long term it will bring about sweeter things.

No comments: