Monday, May 07, 2012

The Book of Human Skin

Life, mood and horrid new Blogger layout have all conspired to make me neglect my blog recently.

I am currently reading Luke Rhinehart's The Dice Man, and it is proving a most intriguing read. Reminds me a little of Bret Easton Ellis' sort of ultra-masculine, no-holds-barred, sort of narrative.

I read a book fairly recently (a few books back), called the Book of Human Skin by Michelle Lovric. While it was a book that made me stay up when I was tired, it proved unsatisfactory. Everyone in the book, was one dimensional, with little depth. Sure, there were adventures, a clear villain(s) and heroine, but it seemed a bit like a grown up Disney story, except less charming.

Another book which made me stay up was Jane Harris' The Observations, which proved to be an enjoyable read. It only came to my attention though, because of the recent Faber collection about Lies and Deception. It was a right old mystery, with strange happenings and hearsay, and a lovely narrator.

I guess there's just sometime about books which makes me flee towards them in such times. Such times as being relatively homebound now, because of exams and a need to study. Of wanting to escape and not be here. Ho hum.

Today's a Bank Holiday.

No comments: