Thursday, March 21, 2013

Composition Workshops

Today I taught yet another class of 10 year olds. The lesson for this week was a composition workshop focusing exclusively on a single component of composition. Towards the end of the lessons, I gave them three 'fun' scenarios to write four paragraphs about (one included a dumpster!). Some of them managed to do the work easily, especially after I emphasised how we needed to include the writing techniques we taught them. Others however, had great trouble. I ended up working with some of them them one on one to show them how to work in various techniques to pad up their tales. It then struck me why I had zero incentive to write fiction any more nowadays - it's cause I already use my creative juices trying to save their compositions about bribe-accepting judges and blind-dogs in dumpsters.

Today I also went out with Ashraf for dinner. We ate pasta at Doodle, and then walked about. We even bumped into an ex-student of his, now working part-time at one of the shops in Square 2. Hadn't seen the guy in over 6 months, so it was nice meeting up again.

Tomorrow will bring more compositions, but with my 12 year olds this time. Somehow between the ages of 11 to 12, they manage to lose their creative sparks and enthusiasm for written expression. I anticipate much cajoling and mocking remarks needed to survive tomorrow's lessons. 

No comments: