Friday, March 22, 2013

Uncomfy

My birthday is just next week. I think the reason why people in general (ok, mainly my Dad) get so uncomfortable with birthdays is that is an in-your-face indication that yet another year has passed - so what have you managed to achieve? 

Last year at this time, I was in Scotland with Ianthe. We were probably on our 3 day 2 night tour of the Scottish Highlands and the Isle of Skye. After that we went Couchsurfing with 2 very nice hosts (funnily enough, not local Scots) in Stirling and Glasgow. We were footloose and fancy free. I was still unsure of what the future would bring, and my dissertation due date was about as far as I could think. 

This year I'm now a teacher. My achievement has been to graduate and work slightly over 6 months. Sometimes I enjoy my job and feel contented, other times I don't. Sometimes my students like to try and get on my nerves, and ask Why Did I Want To Be A Teacher. Some other students just plain disrespect me. Although these incidents do get to me (Lord knows I'm just disappointed now thinking about today), they remind me that Hey, 22 (or 23 as I'll be next week) Is Too Young To Settle And Just Be Contented. 

No comments: