Friday, March 08, 2013

Masking Tape

And just when I thought my job had almost driven me to the edge of reason, two great classes in a row have gone and restored my faith again. The first is always expectedly a quiet and reasonable class. The second however, tends to be rowdy. This week, they were much more better behaved and responded well to the 'I'll make you stay back with me if you don't complete your work' threat. Namely, they did their work. What made the class GREAT however, was their mature and rather intelligent responses to My Blueberry Nights, when I screened the first portion of the film. The joy I got from getting a proper lesson though with them cannot be relayed in mere words. But then again, they were never as bad a case as one of my other classes. 

Today however, I came prepped in case they misbehaved on an epic scale (they did make me lose my voice last week). I bought me a roll of masking tape, 60mm in width. Not to tape up their mouths as one might imagine, but rather to use as a gavel to pound tables with if I needed to get attention and didn't want to shout (one can't imagine how constant shouting is until it becomes a job prerequisite). I got the idea from an old teacher I had in Primary school, who was really stern and terrified us girls. To get the students in order, she'd pound the teachers desk with a roll of masking tape. It produces a rather loud sound, as I tried on my desk today before class. That she had turned a seemingly innocent item into an item of order was not lost on us either. I think that added more to us being scared of her. Funny the things that stick in our memory, and funny how the tables have quite turned today.

No comments: