Monday, March 18, 2013

Dolls

Over the weekend, my mum had a new wardrobe installed in my room. The new wardrobe is fitted and custom made, and cost just a bit under S$2000. While I wish I could say it was solely done for my benefit, by mother had an ulterior motive, which was to store her extra clothes in my room. However now that I had come back from the UK with extra bulky winter clothes, we were running out of places to store all these extra clothes. Hence, she decided to get a new built-in wardrobe put into my room. Now I feel tiny in my room because the damn wardrobe is at least two times my height, and my stuff has all been shoved into a corner of the room to make space for the wardrobe. This simply means one thing: spring cleaning. 
Today I went to Daiso with my Dad to pick up those plastic boxes to slot things in. After we came home I spent the little bit of time before dinner re-arranging my papers and all. Then, I stumbled upon these dolls - a veritable blast from the past.


In 2001, I first went to Yunnan, China with my Grandparents. I remember being appalled at how dirty the toilets were, and how bad smelling everything was. I also remember demanding Coke at every meal, and eating only fried eggs with tomatoes and rice, because I found the food there so vile. In addition to be doted on gastronomically by my Grandparents, my Grandma also spoiled me by buying me all the dolls I wanted. In Yunnan they were selling these dolls (for about S$4 I think) dressed up in various ethnic clothes of all the minority groups in China. I used to play with the dolls everyday afterwards, until I was about 12-ish I think, in the back of my Grandparent's room. One of them even had a sword!

Of all the dolls, I remember this one was my favourite. She always starred as the downtrodden heroine. Even now almost 12 years later, she's still my favourite. I think it's the relative simplicity of the outfit, and non-clashing colours.


I put all the dolls back into their boxes, and put them into a plastic bag with the rest of my old stuffed toys. They're all - save my old favourite which I decided to keep for sentimental reasons - destined for better homes at the Salvation Army. 

No comments: