Sunday, September 08, 2013

186

Today after Math class, I took 186 all the way to my Mama's place. It was predictably quite a long ride, meandering through parts of Singapore like River Valley and Queenstown. Still I got a seat, and kept looking outside as the bus drove on. It then occurred to me that the last time I was at Tanjong Pagar on a Sunday was many years ago, when I was 16 to be exact and interning at M/s M. Mr Tan had asked me to go back to work on Sunday (even after I had been in on Saturday) to help speed up the zapping of Court of Appeal documents. I had arrived at the office around 10am, and found it shut. After hanging about for an hour, I got fed up and left, walking to Tanjong Pagar to blow off some steam. That was the last time I recall being there and seeing the area so oddly empty.

The other time I suppose (thought I don't recall seeing as much), was when I did the Nike 10k Human Race with classmates from 6.9 in 2008. I remember puffing past the Singapore Chinese Orchestra Hall, but that was about it. Funny how a place can act as an anchor, linking so many disparate and not-usually-thought-of memories.

I felt quite tired and out of it today. Yesterday I had 3 classes. This week I taught 10 in total. Needless to say I have quite a bit of marking too. My mood this/these week/weeks has been very strange. I seem to be bouncing between outright rage and frustration with the senior management at work, to feeling like I can't do anything right at all. Meanwhile I just feel very tired. Even if I get enough sleep, I still feel like there's cotton wool stuffed into my joints, muscles and veins. Parts of my body ache for much longer after workouts than before too. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not eating as much as before, or whether I'm getting anaemia again.

Meanwhile even though it's been more than a week, I'm still reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It's a strange and thick book without much of a plot to really dive into, but cleverly written nonetheless. It's also one of those books that you can pick up easily even after days of not reading it, simply because not much of what you've read before matters to the rest of the story. Ho. 

No comments: