Monday, September 16, 2013

Mooncakes and Memories

Today I finally managed to venture to the Mooncake Festival Fair at Takashimaya's basement. Last time I used to always go there with my Mum when I accompanied her shopping on Saturdays. This year we've not been out clothes shopping together once at all, namely because I work on Saturdays. This time I went with Tiffany, and it really was by chance rather than deliberate design that we ended up there, as we had originally started out at Somerset MRT and wandered over after we had dinner had Sushi Express. I must say, the bill at Sushi Express took us both by surprise at $10 a person. And as Tiff put it, it's practically NEVER that you're surprised in a a good way at the dinner bills in Singapore.

Anyway at the Mooncake Festival, I set off to find my favourite snowy Mooncake booth, and we found it! I remembered the box and the flavours available, and I felt quite pleased to be able get those yummy Mooncakes again, nevermind that they're horridly bad for you :x It felt funny/nice to be able to repeat this 'tradition', though I didn't do it last year nor remember when was the last time I had Mooncakes from that specific store. I do however, remember doing it two years in a row. Maybe when I was about 18 and 19, before I left for London? Not sure anymore. Still, 2 yummy Mooncakes for $13 :)

While out with Tiff, I also bought Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. We spoke a little about it before when we were teaching the students some lesson months ago, and I remembered it as one of those Sci-Fi books that are Must Reads, just like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Flowers for Algernon. Am currently reading a whole bunch of entertaining Jeffrey Archer shorts now, which is a bit like candy floss for the brain.

Felt extremely reluctant to go home today, mainly because it really signalled the end of my weekend. Am not looking forward to work because it'll be a long week (as usual) with all sorts of difficult things that make me feel like grunting in (anticipated) frustration. I had a 40 minute phone call today from a stressed out parent, making me feel very stressed out too. The workload feels never ending and there's little or no downtime (unless you've forgotten about all your work). Still, tomorrow will mark my 1 year anniversary with the firm. Ho.

No comments: