Monday, October 31, 2005

This article is not meant to be offensive, please read it with an open mind. If you are offended easily please skip this post.

-----

I was looking at IMDB's National Lampoon's Van Wilder: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283111/ if you're too lazy to do a websearch.

Anyway out of curosity (since it's assumed Vanessa Heng/Wilder had watched this show) I went to look at the ratings (it was M18 in Singapore) and to my amusement Malaysia:Banned was proclaimed merrily amongst the relatively low age ratings.

I clicked on the link and to my immense amusement, Ally McBeal was the first thing I saw on the 'banned' list.

See it here: http://www.imdb.com/List?certificates=Malaysia:(Banned)&&heading=14;Malaysia:(Banned)

Nestled among the downright 'evil' (or rather, understandable) South Park and Zoolander (one of the characters in the movie insulted Malaysia) lay innocent looking titles like Barney, Babe: In the City (I hope it's not because the majority of the population is muslim, or is it it's banned to watch movies of forbidden animals?)(note, I wasn't being sarcastic).

Even Friends, Bruce Almighty, Shrek and Spiderman is banned!

The biggest irony is, get this, walk into Holiday Inn in Johor Bahru and you get find all these titles for RM8 along with other more hardcore banned things like Sin City and Kill Bill.

There is no moral to this story. Except maybe the only ones who win in the end are pirates.

No comments: