Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sometimes I do quite wonder at why mankind chooses to remember the things that they do.

For instance almost everyone can tell you who Frank Sinatra is, even Richard Nixon who left office in a trail of disgrace. Everyone knows who Brad Pitt is, and most people can name the entire cast of Friends.

Much less however, but still a sizable number know of Oskar Schindler thanks to the award winning movie Schindler's List. In short what he did was that by providing employment during WWII, he managed to save a few thousand Jewish people from the gas chambers. Much less however, know of John Rabe, a Nazi who also saved thousands of lives during the Rape of Nanking.

Then there are those we have clean forgotten to document at all. It wasn't till today I found out of Shinozaki Mamoru who similarly saved thousand of lives in Singapore during WWII by issuing papers which ensured protection to the Chinese people and only from one reading I have by the National Archives (in Singapore).

I've always had a fascination with acts of altruism during wars, the idea of being able to save lives at the risk to oneself. These are the kinds of people I regard as my heroes. Most of them will forever be nameless, remembered perhaps only by their descendants. If you ever do ask them however, if they regard themselves as heroes - I know for sure the answer would be a firm no.

And yes, I'm doing my EE reading now. WTY really thinks I'm in France now, which is just as well since I don't really have mood to do any work. TOK and World Lit be damned.

No comments: