Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday, Week 7

Apparently there is no hot water at home again. I think I was the last person who had a hot shower this morning before I left for school. Wasn't my fault, I didn't break anything. In fact, someone (it might've been me, but the pettiness inside blames it on another flatmate) knocked off my shower gel and didn't move it back upright. The whole bathroom, much to my chagrin, now smells like Sanex Moisturising shower gel. I was upset to see what must've been 1/4 of the shower gel all over the sides of the bathtub, leaking out, when I got home to investigate the panicked texts of a flatmate (perhaps she was the one who tipped over my shower gel and didn't put it back upright!!!).

So anyway back to the investigation, after testing all the taps in the house I determined that the water pressure of all the cold water taps in the house was much much more lower than usual. Usually if you turn the cold water tap in the kitchen on the slightest bit, BOOM, your clothes are all wet from the intensity of the splatter of water. This has happened to me numerous times because the tap directions are a bit counter-intuitive. It did not happen this time. ALSO, after just going to the kitchen for my nutella sandwich, I have discovered to my chagrin that I am right, there is no more cold water coming out from the taps. It is a Camden Council problem after all, not of my dearly beloved landlord.

I suppose the perks of having freaked out so much last week is that I am oddly sanguine about this whole water business now. I've run out of energy to freak out. Well, that and perhaps because this is the second time in weeks that this has happened (I think it was Week 4 when the water stopped working).

-----

I originally wanted to blog about my day today, when I was eating a Wright's Bar sandwich (with salad, extra 25p) and was wandering around the East Building. I didn't want to disturb the calm of the History Common Room, and so went outside. There however, I was in a hallway surrounded by the doors of various professors and such of the History department. One door at the end of the hallway was open too, and I could hear talking from inside. Feeling a bit silly and awkward, I decided to move onto the staircase area. It was unusually cold because someone had left a window open (and today itself was a pretty chilly day) so after consuming one sandwich, I moved on to look for somewhere warmer.

My search for a warmer part of the building brought my downstairs, past rooms bearing more familiar names, and onto the link bridge of the East Building with the Clare Market Building where I found a warm radiator. I promptly propped myself against it, munching on my sandwich while hoping no one noticed me. This was because again, I was in a very weird and awkward position, eating a sandwich randomly outside offices. Of course as it always is with such situations when you hope you're not seen, two people walked by while I kind of shrank inwardly. Soon after I finished up my sandwich and scarpered back to the Common Room to continue my reading.

-----

I hope Camden Council fixes the water soon.

No comments: