Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Influenza, Hospitals and Jetlag

I am back home. One 12 and a half hour flight from Heathrow, 3 movies and an episode of Law and Order UK (Enter the Dragon, Les Femmes du 6 étage and The Adjustment Bureau) later, I am back to what feels like 100% humidity and 30 degree celcius weather. Also, yummy food.

The day before my flight home I messed up and booked a cab for 3:30am instead of 3:30pm. The taxi company very nicely woke me up, and I had to haul my very dazed and sleepy ass downstairs to pay the driver, while beating myself up about making such a very silly mistake. Then I came up and found my grandmother waiting for me, which was even worse :/ Luckily she didn't tell my grandfather, or I'd never live it down. It's funny though, the transition from being fully independent quasi-adult in London to having to suddenly revert into the role of a subservient and obedient child the moment (grand)parental figures appear. I didn't really like it, especially since my grandparents are more domineering that my parents.

Today I went to the Singapore General Hospital, less than 24 hours after touching down, for my usual check ups. For once all my appointments were on time. Which is lucky considering that as my time there dragged on, I started to feel more and more sick with what I can only assume is the flu. That and I was jetlagged as hell and walking around the hospital in a haze. Things got interesting when I finally retrieved my Medisave form (some semi-medical state insurance in Singapore) from the nurse's office after 3 months and I realise the random doctor who signed off my form circled 'schizophrenia' instead of 'major depression'. Cue me staring at in a daze and finally deciding to go ahead and submit the damn form anyway.

As I sat in the Medisave office and looked even more confused over bureaucratic red tape (and jetlag), the Medisave woman took one look at my form and started talking to me in a very slow and low voice, enunciating every single syllable. I guess that's how they treat people with schizophrenia. How unfortunate.

For lunch I had awesome Teochew Mui (Teochew porridge) buffet and grabbed like everything available. It was the BEST MEAL I ate in a long time. That and I grabbed a whole plate of Ikan Bilis (small, fried fish). SO GOOD. Yes, I am a woman of simple tastes. I went home, took medicine, and slept my afternoon away.

No comments: