Saturday, June 07, 2008

This morning I woke up at 6 o'clock because of the SATs. As a result I ended up feeling very weird again.

First came a sense of my mental processes being blocked - this was on the car ride there. Then next came a running internal commentary (which was rather rude) on everyone I saw at the centre, from complaining that I felt like sheep being pushed about to random criticisms of bad dress. Best of all was the people I saw cramming right before the SATs, they were criticised the most by early-morning-me.

Overall the SATs were okay I suppose. Only time can tell however what my 'okay' means, through truth be told I personally find the whole thing inconsequential because my personal aim is for a university across the Atlantic where everyone is a 'daft punk', so I don't really mind if I do that badly? I think.

The weird mood continued till after the SATs though. I called Cielo but she was with someone else and briefly considered calling Nic to ask for Zhe Xian's number but in the end decided to walk around myself. So feeling very detached from reality, I walked from Cuppage to Paragon with a blank look on my face while everyone around me was running to avoid the rain. I also bought a very delicious looking lemon cupcake.


When I went to use the bathroom in Paragon - a old man walked in. I stared at him blankly before someone shouted 'Uncle! Next door!' and then the man gave a very surprised 'こ゛めねさい!' before scurrying out. For some reason that made me feel even more blank and detached - like when I saw bus number 77 taking another route on Wednesday to avoid the jam caused by this accident at the T-junction of Sixth Ave and Holland Road.

I then wandered over to Ngee Ann City where I went to buy more shorts because I realised on Monday night that I couldn't fit into the ones I had when I was Sec 2. (It's horrible how in Sec 4 I could still wear my clothes from primary school - now 2 years later I can't even fit into my Sec 4 jeans anymore!) While browsing the racks, I still felt weird, so when I went to try clothes on I ate a banana inside the changing room. For some reason I felt better after knowing I just did something weird.

Then I went to buy books, because when I feel odd I usually end up buying books. I was debating whether to get The Unaccustomed Earth or Kafka on the Shore, or even buy a better version of Jude the Obscure so I would finally read the book - and somehow I ended up buying て゛んしゃ おとこ instead (and Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five after I kept thinking about it during the SATs after Johannes mentioned it on Thursday).

-----

On another note, last night I finished reading Socrates in Love by きょいち かたやま. I realised I ought to blog about the books I read, so at least in case I forget (and boy do I have a bad memory) what I read, I can easily refresh it.

So these are the books I have acquired recently:

Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five
なかの ひとり - て゛んしゃ おとこ
J. R. Tolkien - The Lord of The Rings I (on loan from Arjun)
Anne Enright - Taking Pictures (finished it on Wednesday)
きょいち かたやま - Socrates in Love (finished last night)
Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None (this is my first Agatha Christie book! I have had a deprived childhood of Sweet Valley High, Fantastic Five, Horrible Histories and Sally Lockheart only)
よこ おか゛わ - The Diving Pool
たいち やまた゛- I Haven't Dreamed of Flying for a While

If you are wondering why I am spamming Japanese ひらか゛な, it is because for some reason the impact of 'use it or lose it' in reference to languages has just hit me. Nooooo. I must not forget basic Japanese.

Also: the overload of Japanese authors is because I've been going to きのくにや rather than say Page One because it's more convenient, and I figure I can get other English medium books elsewhere so I might as well get the specialty books! I think that makes sense.

No comments: