Tuesday, February 12, 2013

CNY Day 3

I originally set out to mark tonight, but on the last script I marked, I realised my wet hair was dripping water all over my student's paper. Erp. At least I didn't accidentally tear the weak, wet spots. So, I decided to write instead.

This is a photo of my Guo Mah's head, taken at the 3rd House.

Yesterday was El Grande Visiting Family Day. My family and I visited a total of 7 houses. First house was my Guo Mah's, followed by my mum's 5th eldest sibling, her sister's house. Then we went to visit my mum's 6th eldest sibling's house, although she had passed away two years ago. It was kinda sad being in that house because I remembered that the last time I was there was when I had attended the funeral. My Guo Mah saw the many photos of her departed daughter and started speaking to herself in a sad voice. I understood nothing because she was speaking on Hokkien, but mutely patted her on the back. My Uncle looked sad too, although he had a new girlfriend now. After that house, we went off to visit my mother's 2nd eldest brother (number 3 of 8 siblings) where we had lunch and finished watching Ah Boys to Men.

After that came the boring houses, because they belonged to my mum's eldest siblings. We visited her eldest sister (number 2 of 8), near Aljunied, and when we got there it started to pour like crazy. I also noted that the new lifts were up and running, which was excellent because my Guo Mah has a lot of trouble walking up stairs. Then, it was off to visit my Mum's eldest brother who lives in Tampines. We had a semi-sort of dinner there. Last house was my mum's 4th eldest brother (number 4 of 8) in Pasir Ris. My memory of that house is bringing one of my cousin's playstations there to play some X-Men fighting game when we were younger.

I have no idea how else to describe that day except tiring and confusing. As we went from house to house, more and more family members would join in. At the first house we acquired my Guo Mah and my mum's youngest brother (number 8 of 8), and after the second house we acquired another 3 more families. And so on so forth :/ It took me ages before I figured who I was directly related to, and who I wasn't, especially with regards to my mum's 3 eldest siblings. OK mystery finally solved after 22 Chinese New Years.

----

Today, I woke up late. I throughly enjoyed my chance to sleep in, after almost 4 days straight of needing to get up early. I went off to met Jia, and only at the bus stop realised that my phone wasn't working. At Standard Charted Bank, when I was depositing some money, I managed to borrow a phone from a couple using the AXS machine to call Jia. PHEW. Thank goodness they lent me a phone. Jia and I then met up, and we had lunch at El Patio. Sadly, the burritos were nowhere nearly as awesome as London ): I felt slightly put off. I crave nothing more than a good burrito from Daddy Donkey now.

After lunch, we walked about Holland Village for a bit, before going to get a quick 30 minute massage at Quick Massage. It was great, and worth every bit of the $20 we paid, especially since my back hurt yesterday from contorting in strange positions in the back of the car, squished with my Guo Mah, Uncle (the youngest one) and Ryan. Then, we went to Starbucks where I started marking. Jia looked at some of the scripts, and went off after a while. I left Starbucks around 5:45pm, after finishing marking for my Friday 5pm class.

It's back to work tomorrow, and I'm not quite looking forward to it, namely because I have no idea what other things I can incorporate into my lessons. Hmm.

No comments: