Monday, February 18, 2013

Seoul Day 2

Today, I went to the National Museum of Korea to find it closed. What struck me however, as I was walking towards it, was that it was rather ugly in appearance. That is, it looked grey and modern, but in a '90s Convention Centre way. As I couldn't even go in to see the exhibits, no comment on that bit.

After that I went to Myeongdong to look for a pair of boots. I was amused to see that there were multiple shops of the same brands, sometimes just a mere 20 metres away from each other. It seemed rather pointless. I ended walking in circles, and had small moments of thinking 'Oh my God, where am I?'. Still, I somehow managed to find my way to the City Hall side, and wandered into the Lottle Department Store, where I was blown away by the steep prices. Then I found Lotte Young Plaza across the road, which had far better prices. There, I finally found a nice pair of boots for a reasonable 99,000 won. I wore the boots out of the shop, wandered around a little more longer, and then found my way back to Myeongdong station to head back to the hotel.

The language barrier is frankly, rather intimidating. I've never felt so intimidated before somehow, when I was traveling in Spain or Austria/Germany. Adding to the problem is that everyone here seems to think I'm Korean, so when they speak to me all I can do is stare at them dumbly. I thought about it, and I even know more Japanese than Korean :/ Plus I recognise little to nothing about the food here.

Oh well, tomorrow Joaquin and I are headed to Gyeongju. I'm looking forward to it!

1 comment:

The 5-Minute Messenger said...

Your blogs about Korea are a good read. I'd like to visit that country one day and they'll give me something to think about for whenever I take the trip.