Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Sodium Chloride

Peskily, ever since I started going to the gym last Friday, my personal trainer's words have stuck in my head. To be precise, his words on eating healthy in general. When he asked me what I was going to have for lunch on Friday, I replied that I was thinking about Novena Fish Soup. I thought he'd be all 'VERY GOOD MELODIE!' and etc when he heard that, but instead to my dismay he said 'eh, you can't drink the soup!'

Ever since I was brought to that place by LUG, and the repeated times after with Jean and etc, we have always, always polished off the soup. The best part of the soup was that when you'd finished eating all the ingredients inside, you could drink the soup while munching on the slightly soft fried shallots. OK, I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it. So anyway yeah, I love the fish soup from that stall.

Flash back to Friday morning, and distressed, I asked him why I couldn't have fish soup. After all it was FISH and SOUP, I mean, it sounded like one of the healthiest, yet tasty things to be had. Sodium, he answered solemnly, there's a lot of salt in soups. And then he went on the list the others things I shouldn't eat: white rice, potatoes, beef, pork...

And then when I fell to the ground and screamed NOOOOOOO. Yeah I wish. What happened instead was that I just frowned at him, and the more he spoke the deeper my frown became. U(N@*$UMX*( DAMNIT.

So in the end on Friday I had curry chicken from Toast Box, cause a colleague, P, wanted to go there instead. I'm quite certain the curry chicken was more unhealthy than any possible sodium filled soup, but OH WELL. Throughout the weekend, whenever I ate less rice than usual, I was incredibly proud of myself. Which brings me to today: gym session number two.

This session was quite different from the last, mainly cause it seemed to be more focused on upper body strength rather than lower body. I guess that'll come on Friday again. However again as the session was about to end, he brought up the horrible S word, and reminded me of all those horrid things Salt does to your body and blah blah blah ):

So, I had fish soup for lunch today, and I managed to leave 1/4 of the soup behind. It seemed an awful, awful waste of good food. So this post is dedicated, in mourning, to that wasted 1/4 bowl of extremely tasty, but salty, fish soup.

No comments: