Wednesday, March 07, 2007

First day at school :/

In the morning I walked to a bus stop about two stops from my house because I just felt like walking, then there I waited for the bus to come. I alighted at the MGS stop, then suddenly recalled that there was no traffic light at the foot of the hill, and damnit, I was NOT going to walk all the way up just to be a 'good girl', so I figured, screw it, and instead crossed amidst the heavy traffic at the foot of the hill, waiting along the road divider! Hohoho. I bet I gave some parents a heart attack. I can imagine them telling their little girls "eh look at that cheh cheh, cannot follow her okay?"

So anyway I got a ride there with Petrina, Krystle and Petrina's parents. The moment I set foot out of the car, a really bad feeling crept over me -____- I seriously felt so lost, and everywhere I saw only boys. Tians.

Then I followed Petrina to her class and waited outside, leaning against the wall and squishing some Chinese New Year decorations and literally just followed her all over the place, and she tried to introduce me to her friends but all I could do was say hi and nothing else.

At the assembly area we met Ashikin and stopped to talk to her and then Stephanie came by. For assembly I had to stand with all the new JAE students, and I felt really odd. The other two MGS girls who had entered by JAE were standing some distance anyway and I didn't see them, Judith and Mary, two girls I had known existed in school but never really talked to them before :/ I ended up sticking with them for the rest of the day, and probably for tomorrow too.

The first part of the day was really, really dumb. I had a constant feeling of incredulity at literally everything, from the repeated speeches about how we were the top 10%, lots of people were on the waiting list, buy our BOMBER JACKET to the '!?!?!' breakdown of everything on the orientation package price (to which my response was that it seemed like some post-NKF backlash). Another thing was that there was this form for people to fill up what they had gotten for their O level L1R5, and I peeped around and lots of people had LOW single digits, not even a 9 in sight! And for those who talked about appeals, they were appealing to places like RJC and HCI! Oh my goodness. The words, "what in living hell am I doing here???" kept repeating in my head, like some broken record.

For the break I just followed Judith and Mary to the wanton stall, which wasn't too bad I guess, and was joined by Tricia, a girl from CHIJ TP and her friend. After the break I saw with Tricia to my left and Judith to my right for the TOK and EE 'bridging' talks. Next to Tricia sat this guy, who we later found out was from ACSI as well (I will mention him later). During the EE talk, everything was okay. It was quite boring and the woman kept threatening us with some anti-plagiarism software.

Then came the worst thing of all: TOK. ARGHHHH. I wanted to die. In fact the ACSI guy did, he died multiple times during the talk, literally laying his head on the small lecture table. The speaker had a really lulling monotonous voice too (but cannot beat MGS's dear RONG) and the lights in the lecture theatre were switched off too, to compound the great sense of sleepiness.

First he started to extol the grand great virtues of GEOGRAPHY, because that was the subject he taught. Then in the TOK powerpoint presentation, lots of Geography text-book like pictures graced the slides, like some subtle soft selling of his esteemed subject. I wanted to laugh at one of the pictures because it showed a bunch of African 'natives' dressed up in full garb, and one of the men to the right was wearing a red tie of all things! I don't think anyone noticed the absurdity of that picture, and from there my mind wandered to Waiting for Godot, which I never 'got' before, but suddenly understood the humour behind.

Anyway the speaker kept looking at me! Maybe because he though I was paying attention or something, which I was trying really hard to, but I was seriously waiting for him to start going all Matrix psycho and pulling our a red pill and a blue you and ask me which one I wanted. Everything was so conspiracy-like and he spoke with such conviction, I wanted to burst of laughing from the pure absurdity of it all.

Then the speaker suddenly came to be and asked 'What is knowledge?' and my mind went blank. Zippit. I turned to Judith and Tricia and my entire body language was like 'Oh my God, oh my God! What do I say?!!!!' and in the end said 'uh, can you ask someone else?', then he turned to Tricia and she gave a good reply.

Later he came by and stood right in front of me and asked "Who's the greatest writer of all time" and as my mind flitted from Hitler (world's scariest premonitory literature) to Dostoevsky (though I never actually finished a book) to Tolstoy (ditto) and J.K. Rowling... (because she actually got people to READ!), someone shouted "Shakespeare!'" from behind me. Suddenly the speaker turned to me and asked me, "Why do you say Shakespeare is the greatest writer?" and all I could say was "Um, I didn't say that" with a really incredulous look on my face. What. The. Hell???

Anyway afterwards was the career fair, and the study in Britain talk which Stephanie had signed up for, so I followed her. The talk was held by the most charming woman in the world, as charming as having your head repeatedly smashed against a concrete wall. She spoke in a tone like she was constantly admonishing us -______-

Later I met the guy who Stephanie almost K.O.'ed with a cricket bat, and I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHY! Hahaha!

EEEE. More talks tomorrow :/

No comments: