Saturday, October 10, 2009

Last night I danced with a stranger

Last night was the first night I went to a clubbing event and actually clubbed, not random pretended to dance '70s style with Cielo, Jin and Mong in a fail place. It was Crush, the weekly clubbing event in LSE. Some of us had free entry because we went to the Student Comedy Night held by LSE earlier in the week (which was really good and exceeded expectations). The overall experience of clubbing was really weird initially, like the words "awkward" and "whale" kept floating through my head. I also finally understood why people had to drink to go clubbing too, because when you're 100% sober and your brain is firing at a normal rate, you understand how silly everyone looks and how stiff you feel.

Last night I had 3 drinks, and I can safely say I've found the right amount of alcohol I can take without getting drunk. I was very impressed with myself, oho. Which is just as well because majority of last night when not spent attempting to dance and look like a natural was spent watching over one particularly inebriated person in the group who kept spacing out into the twilight zone and hopping at random inopportune moments. I think attempting to watch him sobered me up too.

At the end of the night 4 of us left early, 2 sober people and 2 drunk people. It was fortunate that the 2 drunken ones were nice happy ones, not angry violent drunks. I shoulder supported one of the guys half the way till I got too tired and asked the other sober guy to hold on to him. While I held on to him, he kept saying "are we there yet?"/"is it 2 minutes more till we're back?"/"i have soccer tomorrow at 10!". When I asked him why he chose the number 2, he replied "because 1 sounds too unrealistic!". He also attempted to set his handphone alarm while I was holding on to him.

After relieving myself of 2-minutes drunk, I ended up upper arm supporting (I can't think of any other name for it) Apologetic Drunk (the same spacing out one from earlier), who kept saying "I'm so sorry" every minute or so. When we reached back to the dorm, the other sober guy and I had to pull 2-minutes drunk onto the bed and then brought Apologetic Drunk back to his room where he sat quietly cowed. Both guys puked twice that night. Nice stuff.

-----

Earlier in the night when I first got into Crush with my roommate, Michelle, and Rufus, we headed to the bar to look for the rest of the group. Rufus went to buy drinks and Michelle and I were randomly standing around when a guy who was heading to the bar made eye contact with me and reached out and held my hand. I remember being really shocked because well 1) WTF? and 2) my hands were icy cold from being outside. He raised his arm, still holding my hand in a gesture to make me twirl underneath. He then started dancing while holding my hand. This carried on for 30 seconds too long as I smiled and quickly squirmed away. I think he was a little upset by this because I saw his shoulders slump in the corner of my eye as I squeezed away. Maybe another time stranger.

No comments: