Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Nice One

Today, all 4 hours plus of it, has been weird.

First I set off looking for the O2 nearest to my dorm, and ended up walking too far down on Eversholt, up Northish from me. The place was too quiet and had too many dodgy stores, including Transformation UK and too many closed/boarded up stores. Not a good sign. I was starting to get a bit scared, with all sorts of Doomsday (okay Daylight Robbery in a more literal form) Ideas flowing through my head. Then just as I turned to walk back, a white car slowed down next to me and the young white driver leaned out and started barking at me. WHAT THE FUCK?! I felt really scared and my mind was going 'OMG RACIST/BNP SUPPORTER!!! RUN BEFORE YOU GET LYNCHED!!!' but after a few moment he got back into his seat and drove off. This all just 50m away from a busy British Rail station.

I finally found the address of the O2 booth and it apparently was located in Euston station itself. This started a wild goose chase looking for the damn booth because train stations are busy places. I learnt that after swerving multiple times away from irate looking people, satisfied customers of British Rail, dragging luggage about. When I finally located the damn booth, it was closed. Closed as in finito, no more in existence. I was so angry and annoyed. ARGH.

Then I gave up and headed out of the station and walked down Tottenham Court Road. I went into a shop and bought 2 plates and a bowl. I was looking around for knives but they didn't carry any. What a fail crockery store. Anyway I asked the counter girl if she knew whether there was an O2 nearby and she shrugged at me, 'dunno'. Thanks you've been a great help.

As I walked out, I started to feel scared the plastic bag would break because the bowl and all suddenly felt very heavy and the plastic bag very thin. So I walked to the side and leaned against the wall, I think it was between a Pret a Manger and a Rymans, to take out my shopping bag and shove in the crockery. Something in that action, maybe the bright green shopping bag, maybe the standing-under-a-pret-a-manger-sign, maybe the stressed look on my face, attracted the attention of 2 people and they started to come towards me.

Unfortunately as we all known extra weight does not make for a quick escape so I was stuck between a Pret a Manger and a Rymans, boxed in by 2 grinning white people. My mind was a bit blank at this time from the stress and I can't confess to any amusing notions of more BNP people, which is just as well because my mind exploded when the guy started talking to me in Mandarin. 'Hui jiang pu tong hua ma?' My mind then went to, 'oh is this guy asking for directions?/wait why is he asking me for directions? he looks like a local!/WAIT WHY IS HE TALKING TO ME IN MANDARIN?!?!'

They were Jehovah's Witnesses.

They wanted me to go to their church.

They wanted to save my soul.

They were actually pretty nice people, if albeit idealistic with their notions of a world without war.

They spoke better Mandarin than I did.

They gave me flyers and leaflets.

I talked to them for 10 minutes. Then I semi-ran away.

The rest of my time out was tame compared to the first 1+ hour. I went to Uniqlo and bought a hoodie for running, went to O2 and finally bought the damn card and then spent like 30 minutes trying to decide between boots in Clarks. Then I went to Sainsburys and bought some supplies. I walked back to my dorm feeling really silly and overburned with weight and items. I reached back just in time to grab my phone and Cornish Pastry to go into the garden and wait for the phone call from my parents.

I feel tired already.

No comments: